Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

E-mail forwarding question?

Old 05-26-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

E-mail forwarding question?

I was told I have a very limited amount of time for access to my old University e-mail. I have been using this e-mail on a regular basis since I graduated (may 03) but now they say they are closing my account since I am not registered anymore. However, they are giving me access temporarily so I can retrieve my e-mails and transfer them to one of my other e-mail accounts.

The problem is that I have about 250+ e-mails in there that I would still like to have, but I dont want to have to go into each individual e-mail and forward them. Is there any possible way to selelct a group of e-mails to forward at once or forward an entire folder to my other e-mail account?
Old 05-26-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on your mail client. Outlook can select all messages and forward them.
Old 05-26-04, 05:02 PM

Well, I would like to transfer the e-mails to my Outlook but right now they are on my University Webmail, from what I recall, I do not think you can group them with regards to forwarding them.
Old 05-26-04, 05:15 PM

I would check with your university IT staff to find out if they have a pop server you could use to download the messages into a client such as outlook. This would allow you to download them all in one big batch, then delete the emails from the university system.
Old 05-26-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the University's webmail have POP3 or IMAP4 access? Can you ask the client services group on campus how best to archive this?
Old 05-26-04, 05:24 PM
toq

It might be possible to forward the messages from your University webmail account—again—depending on the webmail system that they use.
Old 05-26-04, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Does the University's webmail have POP3 or IMAP4 access? Can you ask the client services group on campus how best to archive this?
I contacted the IT dept to see if they have the ability to do this. Just wating for a response.
Old 05-27-04, 09:49 AM

UNB's webmail is just a supported email 'client' which is already configured for you, interfaces nicely with our portal, and doesn't require the user to install any special software (you just need a web browser). That is, you can access your UNB email by any standard email client (Eudora, Pegasus, Outlook) just by configuring it to retrieve the mail from server email.unb.ca with your UNB login id as he user id and your pin as the password.

Looks like I will be able to do this with my Outlook eh?
Old 05-27-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. congrats. Now get off our mail system.