Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

OBNOXIOUS beep on startup

Old 05-25-04, 07:33 PM

OBNOXIOUS beep on startup

I've had an Emachine T3085 for about two weeks now ... so far it's running great. But. Everytime I boot up, there is a hellaciously loud beep right after the BIOS screen. What can I do to avoid this?? I can't find any setting in BIOS that addresses it and it occurs before Windows XP Home loads. Thanks
Old 05-25-04, 11:41 PM

A single beep before the Windows splash screen means that everything went okay during POST. Disable the internal speaker if you don't want to hear it, but then you won't hear other beep sequences if something is wrong during POST.
Old 05-25-04, 11:42 PM
Banned

it is a POST beep telling you everything is fine. you can't turn it off. depending on a problem, it will beep a certain way so you can look up what the problem is
Old 05-26-04, 06:38 AM

But it's REALLY loud -- I mean you can hear it throughout the entire house when it beeps! I've never had a computer beep like this. How do I disable the internal speaker, in case it just gets to be too annoying?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-04, 08:56 AM

My dad's computer does the exact same thing. Start up computer - a couple of seconds afterwards : BBBEEEEPPPPPP!!

Like the other said, just one solution: disable the internal speaker. That's why I did with my dad's machine. Problem fixed.

I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing the beepcodes should there be something wrong with your machine in the future. You can always reconnect the speaker should you suspect something being wrong.
Old 05-26-04, 04:52 PM

Thanks Lolarennt. I think I can live without the other beeps if I could only eliminate this one really bad one. So how do I disable it?
Old 05-26-04, 05:19 PM
toq

I believe there's a wire that runs from the internal speaker to your motherboard. If you're familiar with it, you only have to pull that connection to disable the speaker.