Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone using Sharepoint?

Old 05-25-04, 03:11 PM

Anyone using Sharepoint?

I need to upgrade my company website to share documents (PDF and Excel files) with my clients in an organized fashion. A big site design expenditure just is not in my budget right now. Microsoft Sharepoint seems to do exactly what I want. Anyone have any pros or cons about this product?

Here is what I'm thinking. My website is currently being hosted. I bought a server from Dell last year, but only use it for Exchange. I'm considering redoing the server to run exchange for my office, host my site, and run sharepoint. My server is currently running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Last edited by TexasGuy; 05-25-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sharepoint's pretty expensive, though, since you have to license the users with CALs. I know a lot of the integration/collaboration pieces are neat, but ultimately it's just a portal site engine like GeekLog or PHPnuke.
Old 05-25-04, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Sharepoint's pretty expensive, though, since you have to license the users with CALs. I know a lot of the integration/collaboration pieces are neat, but ultimately it's just a portal site engine like GeekLog or PHPnuke.
Yes, its pretty expensive, but I really got sticker shock when I looked into having a custom site designed from scratch. Sharepoint didn't seem so bad anymore. I'm justifying it by reminding myself I'll save about $500 a month in printing costs.

I don't need most of the features. I basically just need file management and a reasonable level of security. I haven't had much luck finding another product that solves this.