Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drives and Drives oh my

Old 05-24-04, 12:16 PM

Hard Drives and Hard Drives oh my

I have a laptop and a shuttle (with AMD 3000+) both running XP pro. The laptop has a 40GB hd, the Shuttle has a 160GB hd as the system drives, For storage of other things music, my DVD back-ups, iso's, TV shows I have 3 external hd's and one internal in the shuttle. Needless to say there are a lot of cables. I take the external drives with my laptop with me when I travel which a do every couple of months. One of the external hd is just an internal in a case but the other two are real externals but I think that I could just open them up and make then internals if I so wished. Now to my question, I looked at some external raid boxes but for a 4 bay they are over $1,000 way too much to spend at this time. I found a 3 bay enclosure that has its own PS and separate USB 2.0 for each drive and fan this looks like a good option but is there something else out there that I am missing?

Here is the link for what I found SCSI4ME.com

Last edited by Flyerman85; 05-25-04 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 05:19 PM

This would really depend on how much storage you need, and what your motivational factor is for combining many separate drives into one, is it for fault tolerance? or is it simply a matter of convenience?

If you absolutely must have fault tolerance, you might consider an alternate means of archiving, as even a fault tolerant array can suffer catastrophic events, or even come up missing. Safe storage always includes an off site copy for worst case scenario.
Old 05-26-04, 05:24 PM

it is for convenience so that all my drives are in one case
Old 05-26-04, 05:36 PM

If looking for simple convenience, I would sell what you have, and go for one really large capacity external drive, prefereably firewire or usb 2.0 at the least.

there are several good quality external drives available now in the 250 to 300 gb range, which should accomodate most needs
Old 05-26-04, 05:39 PM

well I already have 3 250gb hard drives and a 160gb so I don't have "most needs"