Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking to leave AOL. Opinions on Earthlink?

Old 05-24-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking to leave AOL. Opinions on Earthlink?

My wife and I have been AOL users for years (I'm ready for the abuse) and recently started having the problems everyone's complained about for so long. We're not power users, so AOL always worked fine for the web browsing and email stuff we need. Plus, we never experienced the booting, glitches, etc., that seemed to go hand-in-hand for many.

I've been looking at Earthlink and it seems to be pretty solid and offer everything we need as fairly limited users. Does anyone have any opionions on their service and value? Is there another ISP that offers fast, reliable connections at a reasonable price?
Old 05-24-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are in the east coast, try Verizon DSL.
Old 05-24-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like you just want dial-up. If so, there are plenty of providers out there that are reliable and much more reasonably priced - netzero, peoplepc, etc.

If you're going high-speed, see what your local telephone company can offer your for DSL packages or see what your cable company can offer you for cable modem packages (I highly prefer cable over DSL)...but you will pay more for cable over DSL most likely and if you don't need the extra speed, DSL will probably be suitable and only a little bit more expensive than AOL dialup.
Old 05-24-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody have any experience with some of the smaller companies like PeoplePC and the like? They're certainly making a big advertising push these days, but I don't know anyone personally who uses them. Especially since a lot of companies are pushing their Web accelerator capabilities.

I considered DSL or cable over dial-up, which is what we have now, but I think quite a few companies want a longer-term contract and I'll be moving to a new state in less than a year. I'll most likely do it then.
Old 05-24-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PeoplePC is owned by Earthlink.

The service is good but they do make you use their software.

Last edited by WhattheFFF; 05-24-04 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Earthlink and it works out just fine. They offer popup blocker and spyware blocker bundled with their software. I live in a small college town so everyone once in awhile the connection slows down a bit but that's life.

I've also used netzero and their service was fine as well. Not as many bells and whistles as Earthlink but it was cheaper.
Old 05-24-04, 09:16 PM

before you sign up for any isp, and you use a cell phone or credit card, check to see if your cell phone company or cc company have any special offers.

I can get a great deal with my visa and earthlink.
Old 05-24-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

you've had the worst
now try the rest
Old 05-24-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hated Earthlink and was very glad to dump them when I moved the last time.

I would try anyone but earthlink or aol if I was you.
Old 05-25-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk God

btw

back in my dialup days.. i used mindspring and was very happy with it

if they still want you to install their software.. be sure to just setup the connections manually.. for the most part, ISP software blows
Old 05-25-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, guys. I took a look at Earthlink vs. Netzero last night and looked at CNET's comparison. I have a feeling it will come down to the two of them. I just hate the fact that NetZero charges for tech support via phone. Not that I anticipate needing it that often, but the principle of the thing chafes me.

Earthlink has a pretty good deal at the moment for the first year, where the first six months are 1/2 off and then regular price for the remaining six. It ends up being cheaper than any of the other accelerated ISPs' plans, so I may go that route and see how I feel over the next year. God knows I invested enough time with AOL, a year to try something out is no big deal for me.

Originally posted by gcribbs
I hated Earthlink and was very glad to dump them when I moved the last time.

I would try anyone but earthlink or aol if I was you.
What was it that you hated, if I could ask?
Old 05-25-04, 11:48 AM

for earthlink, im not sure if this deal still runs but if you sign up through dell they offer a $100 rebate on earthlink connections with no contract. i am using their service, for the most part it works but sometimes i lose connections overnight. i have heard only good things about verizon dsl though.
Old 05-26-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had earthlink for years and through several transitions:

1) Just earthlink on my modem dial-up
2) Moved to Sprint+Earthlink for my DSL
3) Moved to Time Warner+Earthlink for my Cable

The most stress free service I've had has been with my current status, #3. I've found their service to be reliable and friendly. I don't remember the last time I had to call Earthlink tech support for anything.