Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Writing files to DVD in XP

Old 05-24-04, 07:45 AM

Writing files to DVD in XP

Hi all,

This could be the dumb-ass question of the century. The reason I say that is because no-one else seems to be asking this question and I'm stumped!

I have bought a DVD burner (+/-RW etc) and with the bundled (Nero) software can steal movies, make movies and even create DVD's with slideshows on. However, the primary reason I bought it was to replace CD's as my method of transporting files around. But, I just cant work out how to copy files/folders to my DVD, so that I can load them onto another PC.

I'm using XP, and that loves CD's - I just drop the files/folders onto the drive windows and tell it to write them to the CD. I put the CD in my mothers XP machine and copy the files off.... easy... But DVD's....???

Can anyone tell me what I need to be able to drag/drop files/folders from my hard-disk onto my DVD drive, so that I can copy them onto another PC?

A cybeer and a BIG thankyou to anyone who can answer this (probably basic) question...

Mat W
UK
Old 05-25-04, 04:17 PM
toq

Re: Writing files to DVD in XP

Originally posted by walkerm
I have bought a DVD burner (+/-RW etc) and with the bundled (Nero) software can steal movies, make movies and even create DVD's with slideshows on.
I'm not sure if you were ribbing us about this statement but just in case you didn't know, this thread could get locked for talk like that. Anyway...
Can anyone tell me what I need to be able to drag/drop files/folders from my hard-disk onto my DVD drive, so that I can copy them onto another PC?
I believe this will probably depend on whether your DVD burner supports Mt. Rainier for writing to a DVD. Programs like Nero InfoTool should be able to display the capabilities of your drive. Keep in mind also that your mother's machine will have to be able to read Mt. Rainier format as well.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to purchase/install some type of packet-writing software that will allow you to do that such as Nero InCD—which is included in the Nero 6 Ultra Edition bundle—or Roxio Easy Media Creator with the included "Drag-to-Disc" feature.

Of course, if you can do without the convenience of drag'n'drop, you already know that you can just burn the files to your DVD with your bundled software.