Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

how do sign up to get spam faxes?

Old 05-24-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

how do sign up to get spam faxes?

Not that I care to spend any money on anything, but I manage a fax system that routes all our faxes into our email system. Once in a while there are problems. I'm thinking a few spam faxes a day are a small price to pay for a free early warning system of any problems.
Old 05-24-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea but after getting my personal fax number, I am getting at least 1 spam faxes every day.
Old 05-24-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
I have no idea but after getting my personal fax number, I am getting at least 1 spam faxes every day.
Did you sign the fax number up for the "do not call" list? My parents have the same problem and they signed up for that, but it doesn't kick in for about a month.....so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-24-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I think it's getting spam because it's a pool of numbers from the company. Everyone pretty much get the same spam faxes.
Old 05-24-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We have a server that runs win2000 server and a fax board from Intel. There is a T1 line connected to the board with 23 channels and around 200 numbers programmed on the circuit from 7 different area codes.

The Intel software crashes once in a while and the only way I know is that people complain of busy signals on their numbers and a reboot fixes the problem. With spam faxes coming in I can check some of the email folders that the messages get routed to and a lack of faxes will signal a problem. It will cut down any downtime that this may experience.

This is a high priority system since sales people fax contracts there for processing.
Old 05-26-04, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by al_bundy
This is a high priority system since sales people fax contracts there for processing.
Why do you want to open this high priority system to crap like spam faxes? Why don't you send faxes on a daily basis to the system yourself to test it?
Old 05-26-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by al_bundy
We have a server that runs win2000 server and a fax board from Intel. There is a T1 line connected to the board with 23 channels and around 200 numbers programmed on the circuit from 7 different area codes.

The Intel software crashes once in a while and the only way I know is that people complain of busy signals on their numbers and a reboot fixes the problem. With spam faxes coming in I can check some of the email folders that the messages get routed to and a lack of faxes will signal a problem. It will cut down any downtime that this may experience.

I can tell you this from the fax servers I have to deal it. May be it's the crappy fax software we're using but those spam faxes will not alert me of a problem at all. It's end up being the users complaining before I know there is a problem. Like on Monday, all the 4 incoming lines was busy but the damn software has no errors. The fax software services had to be restarted to free up the busy lines.