Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Would I be able to run a Radeon 9800 with a 250w PSU?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-22-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am currently running a 2.2GHz P4 with a 250w PSU.

Here are my peripherals:

DVD-RAM
CD-RW
120GB HD
Audigy 2
Firewire Card
3.5" Floppy
Zip250 (plugged into FireWire)
Microsoft BlueTooth Transceiver (plugged into USB)
Old 05-22-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Depends on the quality of the power supply. You have a decent amount of hardware already, the 9800 might be the last straw, but there's no definite answer until you try yourself.
Old 05-23-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a definite answer...

*from Maximum PC*

Component... Power Requirement... Line(s) Used

Athlon/P4 CPU... 60~90 Watts... +12V
Motherboard... 20~30 Watts... +3.3V, +5V, and +12V
RAM... 20 Watts per 256MB... +3.3V
PCI Card... 5~10 Watts... +5V
AGP Videocard... 20~50 Watts (high end cards with 12V power connector assume 40~50)... +5V and/or +12V
CPU Case Fan... 2~4 Watts... +12V
Hard Drive... 5~15+ Watts... +5V and +12V
Floppy Drive... 5 Watts... +5V and +12V
CD/DVD Drive... 10~20 Watts... +5V and +12V

I think you would be pushing it. Here's a key paragraph from the article that sums it up nicely...

As you can see, a performance PC's mobo, CPU and graphics card hog around 150 Watts of power all by themselves. Much of this comes off the +12V line. A typical 300 Watt ATX 12V PSU is rated to supply around 180 watts of 12 volt power when working hardest. This is before we allow for heat-degradation in the PSU's ratings, for other components to also draw on the 12V output, and for any headroom for future growth. This is why we recommend you use at least a 350W PSU. In fact, we recommend you save yourself at least 30% of headroom between the PSU's rating and your maximum power requirement. Pay special attention to the total +12V output as many high-power components in a contemporary PC rely on this output.
So - you should know that just because it says 250 Watts, you can right away cut 25% off that figure. Those ratings are for in ideal ice-cold conditions. Normal operating temperature of a PC is gonna be around 100 degrees and and heat will take juice away from your PSU. It's never a bad idea to go overkill with a PSU.

If you're in the market and don't want to spend heaps of money - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...103-908&depa=1 - that's 60 bucks and should do you right. Thermaltake has a 40 dollar model at 420W that is also good. If you really wanna go on the cheap... Sparkle makes decent cheap PSUs and they have a 350W for under 30 bucks. I wouldn't suggest going lower than that in terms of both price and performance. I did buy a PSU for a backup PC recently - Powmax Demon 580W model for 35 bucks. They are cheap and come with a light inside. They have a 480W model that's 25 bucks. The heavier they are, the better (is often the case) and this PSU was light (meaning it didn't weigh much). So far it works and I like it and the price was right, but I'm not gonna rely on it forever.
Old 05-23-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would it be easy to replace in my Gateway? A PSU is one thing that I have never replaced.

I think I'll go with this one for $25

I have no dillusions, at $25 it probably doesn't give 480w, but I don't do any overclocking, so I should be fine. Also, the blue LED is nice .

Last edited by Brain Stew; 05-23-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like I can't get that one. My current PSU is 5.5" (W) x 6.0" (L) x 3.5" (H). Most of the ones on newegg are too big.
Old 05-23-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well that wasn't really definite was it? I've seen people running quite a few pieces of hardware on a 200 watt Dell power supply but fail miserably on a generic 400. Those numbers are pretty vague from Maximum PC.

Anyway, lots of OEM's like Gateway, Dell, etc, use parts that are difficult to interchange. Personally, i'd just try the 9800 and see what happens... worst comes to worst it just doesn't power up or you see some stability issues and you have to search for a power supply that fits... or if you really want, replace the whole case.