Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recommend me a Pocket PC

Old 05-22-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recommend me a Pocket PC

I am really loving the new Axim X30s - especially the high end one...any others I should consider for that price (~350)?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4953.html
Old 05-22-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would suggest IPAQ, but they are way overpriced. Axium running Windows 2003 SE + WI-FI + 600 MHZ processor for $350.00! there is on other choice.

Edit-- The only other thing I would suggest is waiting for one of those 15% off coupons.

Last edited by Lateralus; 05-22-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

corrie has an axim and loves it
Old 05-22-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah - they had a $30 off posted on gotapex for one day only I missed, so I'm waiting for a coupon or something to bring that price down a little bit (probably going to add extras, so I'm looking for a $30 or more off $400)...15% would be awesome.
Old 05-22-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love my HP iPAQ 2215! I hear good things about the Dell units too!

Sonicflood
Old 05-23-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Toshiba E805. 4" screen, supports VGA mode. Toshiba will support and provide Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE for free when it's release. This new OS will have native support for VGA and you can change the orientation.
Old 05-23-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I looked at the Toshiba, but for the price, I don't think the X30 can be beat. Anyone know of a way though to connect a CF card to it? It only has an SD slot and it would be great if I could take my CF card and connect it to view photos/resize/e-mail them on the go.
Old 05-23-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, until another company comes out with a VGA Pocket PC, the Toshiba is worth it. Don't forget that the screen is 4" too, which is .2" larger than anyone else. It may sound little but you will notice. Very useful for viewing pics and surfing the net.
Old 05-23-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between QVGA and VGA?
Old 05-23-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

320 x 240 vs 640 x 480. Same concept as different resolutions in computer.
Old 05-23-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Figured as much...just didn't have the time to look it up...I would think that twice the resolution would make a big difference...I'll definitely look into the Toshiba. I also like that the Toshiba takes Compact Flash cards...still no answer on how I could plug in a CF to the Axim?

Would it be too much to ask for a USB port?
Old 05-23-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, with the Toshiba E805, you can get the presentation module. This module will allow you to connect the Pocket PC to an external monitor/video source @ 800 x 600 65k colors. This PDA is packing 2MB video RAM! Also, the module has a USB port. As long as you can get driver support, you can connect any USB devices to it.

Checkout the forum I hangout @ for Pocket PCs: Brighthand forum
Old 05-23-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blake
Figured as much...just didn't have the time to look it up...I would think that twice the resolution would make a big difference...I'll definitely look into the Toshiba. I also like that the Toshiba takes Compact Flash cards...still no answer on how I could plug in a CF to the Axim?

Would it be too much to ask for a USB port?
I knew there was a reason that I didn't buy an Axim and that is because it can not accept CF cards. Those Toshiba's look really nice, but that 600 MHZ processor on the Axim has me drooling. I will probably wait and see what the next generation of Toshibas and IPAQs have before upgrading my old IPAQ.
Old 05-23-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the new Toshiba will have the new version of Windows Mobile SE and beef up the processor speed. Asus will be the other company that will be releasing a VGA Pocket PC to support the new version OS.
Old 05-24-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an Axim X3i and love it. Those X30s look awesome though, I'm a little disappointed that the new one is 224 MHz faster than mine that a bought a few months ago. I should be used to this by now, but it gets me everytime.
Old 05-24-04, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Jonny2k1
I have an Axim X3i and love it. Those X30s look awesome though, I'm a little disappointed that the new one is 224 MHz faster than mine that a bought a few months ago. I should be used to this by now, but it gets me everytime.
I'll second this and for built in wireless for around $300 you almost can't go wrong. Only drawback is no bluetooth.
Old 05-24-04, 05:18 PM

The new Axims do have bluetooth.
Old 05-26-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty much set on the Axim even though VGA would be nice to have. Does anyone know how often coupons come out? I've tried to use the ones posted at gotapex, however, apparently the Axim doesn't qualify as a "peripheral" so they don't work...I'd like to buy it soon, so I will just buy it straight up if there aren't any coupons on the horizon, however, I can wait if someone thinks that something might come out soon.
Old 05-27-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the HP iPaq 5550 (I think) - the latest 'n' greatest. And I barely use it beyond the calendar and phone functionality. Once the novelty wears off, you may regret that extra $300 you paid for a PPC.

- David Stein
Old 05-27-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure the novelty of everything wears off after a while (my Clie is getting no use right now), but I've been wanting to play around with hotspots and bluetooth and a Windows PDA for a while, and the amount of stuff you get for the price makes me think the Axim is worth it. Hopefully it will keep me entertained longer than the Clie (which I thought had MP3 capabilities - something the Axim does have).
Old 05-27-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
I'm sure the novelty of everything wears off after a while...
Yeah, but one would hope that the utility of these gadgets - the real reason we buy them - is apparent even after the gee-whiz factor wears off. My notebook computer is a month old, and the novelty is wearing off, but it's so damn useful that I'm still happy I bought it.

Very different story with my iPaq, though... I actually wish I'd stuck with a Palm device. The more robust hardware of my iPaq is very under-utilized by the current crop of software - and, in fact, its core functionality is sketchy (handwriting recognition is glitchy, ActiveSync software is a steaming PoS, etc.)

It's not really a Windows PDA, by the way. Not a modern Windows, anyway... it's about on par with Windows 3.1. And it's useless for Internet access - you don't have enough screen space to do anything useful. Try resizing your desktop web browser to 320x240.

- David Stein
Old 05-27-04, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Tommy Boy29
The new Axims do have bluetooth.
I knew i should have waited......
Old 05-27-04, 06:47 PM

I have an Axim X5. Although it is now a generation behind, the fact that it has both CF and SD cards is a huge benefit, although I assume a lot of the newer models have that feature as well. Beyond the standard contacts and calendar, I use it for GPS, picture viewing (straight from my digital camera to the Axim), headphone music, calculator, and voice recorder.
Old 05-27-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new X30 doesn't have CF which is upsetting, but I'm sure I'll find a way to hook up my CF so I can view pictures on it. I wanted MP3 capabilities with my Clie, which I found out didn't have the ability after the fact, so that will be nice on the Axim.

Just waiting for a Dell coupon, though I might not wait much longer - if nothing comes out tomorrow, I'll order in the morning.
Old 05-27-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well screw that, the estimated ship date isn't for almost a month...what a joke.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.