Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HELP! Odd network glitch?

Old 05-21-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HELP! Odd network glitch?

I need some help. At some point in the last week, my dad's notebook stopped communicating with the rest of our network at home. Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that.

It's receiving an IP from the router, and it can see the other computers on the network. However, it cannot connect to one computer on the network, and I canNOT browse the web from it. (It's the computer that connected to the router via cable, if that matters.) Nothing new has been installed on any of the computers, and according to my dad, it just happened. I even checked the router to see if any ports were closed for that particular MAC address, but I didn't see anything.

It's the first time I've ever had something like this happened, and I'm all out of ideas.

Last edited by quietsoul; 05-22-04 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 11:54 PM

try removing the device under device manager, and reinstalling it after a reboot. Sometimes glitches develop in the driver and settings, by doing this, you are resetting the connection and the drivers. See if this resolves the issue.
Old 05-25-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I deleted the device and tried reinstalling it with no success. I checked on Dell's website and downloaded their latest drivers for the wireless card. No go.

I did hook the notebook to the router with a cable, and it worked. So, it's not the wireless card and it's not an Internet setting on the notebook. What's left?

Is it a router problem? All the other wireless devices (another notebook and a desktop) seem to work on the network just fine. The problem is incredibly frustrating! Any other suggestions?
Old 05-25-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have any firewall software enable, turn it off. Even the the builtin one from XP.
Old 05-25-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
"ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Make sure that you can ping the default gateway. Then check to see if you can do the same for the DNS.

You can see other machines on you network, but cannot connect to them. Try to connect by ipaddress Start>Run>\\x.x.x.x\sharename as apposed to Name.
Old 05-25-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got it to work. Thanks for all the help guys! I don't know why it works now, but after restoring the factory defaults for the router, things are working fine. Now to check the rest of the PCs on the network!

Thanks for everything. I think my router is on the fritz since we didn't do anything to the router configuration menu. I'm the only one that uses it.