Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dazzle 150 vs Pennacle Studio AV/DV Version 9?

Old 05-21-04, 12:28 PM

Dazzle 150 vs Pennacle Studio AV/DV Version 9?

Ok, I am wanting to convert VHS to DVD disc's and don't have a clue on what video editing card, software, and etc I need. Not willing to go out and buy a Camcorder with the bells and whisles to play the tapes to the computer btw.

Just would like a decent copy of the VHS burned to DVD of my wedding and some of my children's school events (8mm and on full size VHS tape). The simpler the product(s) the better for me, as I don't mind spending some time doing this.

I currently havea Matrix computer http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_2020.asp with an added Sony DRU 510A with all the updated firmware.

Looking at these two choices atm, as I do want to be able to have a Brick and Morter Store that I can bitch at if it doesn't work right.

Looking at the Pinnacle Systems Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150
Model: DVC-150
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

or a Pinnacle Systems Studio AV/DV Version 9 Video Editing Kit Model: 210100357
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

Really like to keep this under $150 because I am just cheap.

Please give me some ideas. Remember to dumb it down for me and if possible would love to just get a simple bundled setup I could use.

Last edited by oldone; 05-21-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 03:48 PM

Went and looked at both the Dazzle and Pinnacle Studio AD/VD Ver 9 products today. Two cons for both of them:

1) The Dazzle uses USB 2.0 and my USB is 1.1, thus to take advantage of the faster 2.0, I would need to upgrade my USB. That's right at $40 plus another slot taken.

2) The Pinnacle Studio AD/DV Ver 9 has no Audio (RCA) inputs and relies on the audio card to have the ability to contect. And unless my audio can go into a microphone input, then I would have to buy a new audio card for the sound of the VHS tapes.

Ok, any ideas?
Old 05-21-04, 03:54 PM
X
Administrator

I got one of these for $50 after rebate.

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBA...p?pid=USBAV701

Haven't had much time to try it out with all the filters and stuff but so far it looks pretty good. It can handle USB 1.1 but you have to lower the bitrate. I'd find a USB 2.0 card for $10-20. They're out there.
Old 05-21-04, 04:13 PM

X
When did you get yours and any idea when the rebate expired? I cannot find a rebate for it and would LOVE to have it for that cheap of a price.

And thanks for the advise on the USB 2.0, I will search around on-line for that.
Old 05-26-04, 07:02 PM

X
Decided to buy the DVD Xpress converter that you mentioned. Lots of positive comments about it everywhere, with few negatives or problems.

Have been playing around with it and it is very good for basic VHS to DVD editing, so thanks for the suggestion.

One question for you. Have you played around with seperating the VHS video and VHS audio and editing out a portion the audio? I have some voices and/or sounds I am needing to take out of a VHS tape and would like to replace them with silence or add in music to replace when I get ready to burn it to DVD.

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-04, 07:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by oldone
One question for you. Have you played around with seperating the VHS video and VHS audio and editing out a portion the audio? I have some voices and/or sounds I am needing to take out of a VHS tape and would like to replace them with silence or add in music to replace when I get ready to burn it to DVD.
Nope. That's too complicated for me so far. I'm still working on trying to optimize the filters and bitrates.

Glad it's working out for you. So far I'm pretty happy with it, especially given the cost.

Oh, and the rebate was for buying it at CompUSA and already expired.