Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hi-8 video camera to pc - what do I need?

Old 05-19-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hi-8 video camera to pc - what do I need?

This might be a ridiculously open-ended question, but I know nothing about what I need:

What kind of video card and/or software is recommended if I want to dump HI-8 video onto my pc for eventually editing/transfer to DVD?

Currently I have 1.3GHZ pc (win98se - soon to be XP).
Old 05-19-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First off, get a faster processor. I have a 3.2ghz pvi, and sometimes
the effects/transitions I'm using really slow the rendering down.

As for editing, I used to use Pinnacle which is actually pretty good. I then
switched to Adobe Premier, which i hated at first, but now, I don't know how
I got along without it. Also use encore to create dvds, and after effects. I bought the Adobe suite, so it's basically what I use. Great stuff, if at points a bit constricting.

I also use Hi8, and to transfer, I just use the firewire connection on the camera, which means you need a firewire card in your pc. But I think your
most limiting factor is your CPU.
Old 05-19-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Neitzl
First off, get a faster processor. I have a 3.2ghz pvi, and sometimes
the effects/transitions I'm using really slow the rendering down.

As for editing, I used to use Pinnacle which is actually pretty good. I then
switched to Adobe Premier, which i hated at first, but now, I don't know how
I got along without it. Also use encore to create dvds, and after effects. I bought the Adobe suite, so it's basically what I use. Great stuff, if at points a bit constricting.

I also use Hi8, and to transfer, I just use the firewire connection on the camera, which means you need a firewire card in your pc. But I think your
most limiting factor is your CPU.
Disagree on the computer, I had a PIII 450mhz for 2 years (just upgraded) and have captured tons of video and made 100's of DVD's. It just takes longer. Your Hi8 Camera will not have firewire outputs to get the footage to your PC.

But to answer your question, you should get a Digital8 camcorder (maybe borrow, if you only have one tape to do). My first digital camcorder was a Digital8 because of the 100's of 8mm and Hi8 tapes I have. You do need to get one that can do Analog>Digital conversions, as well as a Firewire/IEEE 1394 card.

Looks like the cheapest Sony that does the Analog>Digital is SON DCRTRV460 which sells at Circuit City for $359.00

I do agree with Neitzl on Premiere though, best software for capturing, editing and very easy to use for encoding as well. I use DVDit PE for the DVD creation, and nero/prassi/roxio for burning the folder to the DVDr.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-19-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Chrisedge
Your Hi8 Camera will not have firewire outputs to get the footage to your PC.
Crap. So you're saying there's no way to use the Hi8 camera to connect to a pc?

The Digital8 camcorder isn't an option, because the problem is my 13-yr-old daughter just bought a new Sony HI8 camera, and I was trying to figure a way to do some editing via the PC.
Old 05-19-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Crap. So you're saying there's no way to use the Hi8 camera to connect to a pc?

The Digital8 camcorder isn't an option, because the problem is my 13-yr-old daughter just bought a new Sony HI8 camera, and I was trying to figure a way to do some editing via the PC.
Not true. Geez, the misinformation!

I haven't done this in a while but here's what I used to do (and would probably be the cheapest solution for you).

Get a video capture card(about $50). You still might be able to find cheap standalone capture cards or cheap older all-in-wonder cards which can also capture, in the stores. Or you can probably find a lot of those older ATI cards on Ebay too.

The ATI card I got came with the capture software and a connector for the camera to the pc. The connector has a few RCA connections on it to take the audio and video feeds from your Hi-8 camera, and convert it into s-video which plugs into the video capture card.

Then just use the capture software, and if the card you bought doesn't have the software, you might be able to download it somewhere, hopefully ATI still has it available on their site.

Then after you get the video captured, there are a number of editing solutions and lots of software for that. I never did any editing, so I can't recommend anything, but there are plenty out there. I'm sure someone can recommend something they've used before.

P.S. On a side note, you could have your daughter return that Hi-8 camera(they're so out of date!), and just get a digital-8 camera and a firewire card instead. You'll get much better performance and quality overall.

Good luck

Last edited by basaro; 05-19-04 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by basaro
Not true. Geez, the misinformation!
My post was remarking about the first post with the comment regarding using the Hi8 cam to hook up to the firewire ports. No Hi8 cams have firewire. I never said he couldn't buy a analog capture device. (So he could use his new Hi8 camera)

P.S. On a side note, you could have your daughter return that Hi-8 camera(they're so out of date!), and just get a digital-8 camera and a firewire card instead. You'll get much better performance and quality overall.

Good luck
This is what I would do if possible. If not, you can buy the analog card for now, (What $50 analog card has decent results?) or just not worry about transfering his stuff to DVD?

Or buy a standalone DVD recorder.
Old 05-19-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Get a video capture card(about $50). You still might be able to find cheap standalone capture cards or cheap older all-in-wonder cards which can also capture, in the stores. Or you can probably find a lot of those older ATI cards on Ebay too.
I'll try to hunt one down - thanks for the tip. Sounds like my only option.

P.S. On a side note, you could have your daughter return that Hi-8 camera(they're so out of date!), and just get a digital-8 camera and a firewire card instead.
Too late for that. She saved up her own $$ for this, and it would take her forever to get the extra scratch to bump up into the Digital-8 realm.
Old 05-19-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might want to check out http://www.videohelp.com to see what cards they recommend.
Old 05-19-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My post was remarking about the first post with the comment regarding using the Hi8 cam to hook up to the firewire ports. No Hi8 cams have firewire. I never said he couldn't buy a analog capture device. (So he could use his new Hi8 camera)
It wasn't directed at you, i didn't even quote your comment!

I was just saying that all 4 or 5 of the previous posts just led the OP into thinking there was NO way to do this. And no, you didn't say he couldn't buy an analog card, but you didn't offer that as an option either, right? I'm just trying to give him options.

Of course, if quality was the most important issue, he would have bought a digital8 camera instead.
Old 05-22-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your Hi8 Camera will not have firewire outputs to get the footage to your PC.

Hmm then I guess the Hi8 Camera I use doesn't exist, since it
does have firewire connections. Oh well, don't mind me then.
Old 05-23-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Neitzl
Hmm then I guess the Hi8 Camera I use doesn't exist, since it
does have firewire connections. Oh well, don't mind me then.
Please tell me what Hi8 cam you have that has firewire.