Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with Palm Zire

Old 05-18-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Help with Palm Zire

So, I just got a Palm Zire for free (thanks bdb! ), but I have nothing as far as accessories, documentation, software, etc. I just bought the charger and cable, and it works, but I'm such a n00b that I have no idea what else I need or how to use the damn thing.

Is there software I need for computer to sync it? Is it something I need to buy, or is it free? And what do I sync it with? Do I have to use Outlook, or is there something else? Does it have its own program for my pc?

And what else should I know? Any tips, pointers, etc, for this UTTER N00B would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-18-04, 03:55 PM
Retired

There is a software CD that comes with them, that you need to install on the computer to do the hotsyncs. It has the windows/mac versions of the calender and all the other programs (combined into "Palm Desktop", as well as the PDA programs and there windows counterparts (those are probably already on your PDA though, assuming it had been used).

I'm not sure how you go about getting the disc. I'd check the Palm website, and give them a call if you don't find anything.
Old 05-18-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can download the software here. It's free. You don't need the CD.

You can synch it to Outlook, or use the (free) Palm Desktop application. I have no idea how to synch it with Outlook, but you'll probably see something about it once you download and setup the desktop software.
Old 05-18-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet steve, thanks! Somehow I had a feeling you'd be providing me some help in this thread!

[OnlySteveCanRead]How's tricks in VT?[/OSCR]
Old 05-18-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sync with outlook using Franklin Covey's planplus software. I believe you can download a free trial from their website. Unless you are totally committed to outlook, the palm desktop works just fine and it's free.
Old 05-18-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LurkerDan
sweet steve, thanks! Somehow I had a feeling you'd be providing me some help in this thread!

[OnlySteveCanRead]How's tricks in VT?[/OSCR]
No prob. Feel free to post back here with any other questions.

[OLDCR]Not bad. Busy. Just bought a condo. Still being built, and closing = a year from now. Work is busy but good. Going to Chicago in a few weeks. Other trips likely in the near future. Played a few points on D-Money's Get Ho Get Lei'd first place-winning team a few weeks back.

Other than the Palm, what's new with you?[/OLDCR]
Old 05-19-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link. I have the software, I DL'ed some of my contacts (it was really hard getting it to work, but I did eventually).

Now I just have to get used to using it!

Congrats on the condo. Maybe I'll make it back for Ho Lay Cow one of these years...