Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Attempted rescue

Old 05-17-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Attempted rescue

Hey guys, I'm trying to rescue my mom's last computer. There is nothing seriously wrong with it other than it likes to lock up and run extremely slow at times. I suspect the cause of the problem(s) is that she NEVER ran disk cleanup, defrag, etc.

I deleted tons of programs and ran the cleanup no problem, but the defrag and scandisk will not run (they just sit there on the screen, making no progress). Any suggestions other than just re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing everything (in which case I need to track down disks).

Oh yeah, it's not an old computer, only a couple of years: e-Machine (no jokes please), 600 mhz processor, running Windows ME.

Old 05-17-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have your tried running scandisc/defrag in safe mode?

And

Don't you need a certain amount of free space on your hard drive to be able to run defrag in the first place? Not sure how much space you need, though.
Old 05-18-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting twist: I cannot get it to boot into safe mode. I tried holding control and it stopped with a "key stuck emergency." Same goes for holding down F8.

Free space is more than 2/3.

Old 05-18-04, 01:39 PM

Don't keep the key pressed the whole time. Just tap the key (F8) intermittently, and you should be able to get into safe mode.
Old 05-18-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(Slapping forehead) Thanks! Got it to go finally. I ran the defrag and left scandisk running (when I left it had been going for an hour). Update to follow . . . thanks again guys and gals!