Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop Backpacks

Old 05-17-04, 04:17 PM

Laptop Backpacks

Can anyone recommend a good laptop backpack that isn't too big (I have a 12" PowerBook)? I've been looking on ebag.com but one thing I'm noticing is either most laptop backpacks are *not* waterproof or it's just never mentioned. Some say "water resistant zipper" but never mention the material itself?

I called Jansport/Eastpack and the woman said all their bags are "water resistant." When I asked what the real difference was between "resistant" and "proof" she had no idea.
Old 05-17-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have TWO of the Targus laptop backpacks.

I 1st bought the Targus Gravity. I thought I would need this in case I wanted to carry 2 laptops + whatever. I like it, but it is big. So big that when fully loaded, not only is it damm heavy, but it will not fit under a plane seat. BTW, this is now available at Target in a laptop kit (includes a mini-mouse and phone cord I think)

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=RG0318

Recently I got the Targus Sport Standard

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TSB212

Much happier over all with it. Much smaller, yet if needed, it can still hold 2 laptops, 8X10 notebook, planner, small MP3 player, and still room for a couple of DVD's, power cords, etc, etc. Even loaded it will fit under a plane seat. If you are looking smaller, I would recommend the Sport Standard.

BTW the computers I typically carry are a Dell 600m (14" screen) and an IBM X30 (12" screen).
Old 05-17-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
KENSINGTON SaddleBag

That's the one I use. It's convertable to a backpack.
Old 05-17-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use the PC Port (TE17-PC Port):

for my Vaio:
Old 05-18-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Eddie Bauer's compartment backpack

It might be a little big but it does have room for everything.
Old 05-18-04, 10:26 AM

Are any of those waterproof?
Old 05-18-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=178702

...a thread on the macnn messageboards discussing this subject. I'm looking for a laptop backpack as well, also for a 12" Powerbook.
Old 05-18-04, 12:11 PM

Wow, great link. I'll see what I can find. Thanks!
Old 05-19-04, 07:51 AM

i use...

for my..
Old 05-19-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Danger1313
Are any of those waterproof?
buy a decent backpack from someone you trust (llbean or some other outdoor gear store) and you know it'll be completely waterproof. then just buy a laptop "sleeve" that you can slide your laptop in.

This way you can take the laptop out and have a normal backpack if you want. Your laptop bag won't shout out "there's $2000 worth of computer in here, steal me!" It's very flexible, so if you want to use a larger or smaller backpack you aren't stuck with only one bag.

I have one like this Brenthaven sleeve or here's another link. It is well padded (especially on the bottom, it has what feels like springs so if you drop it, it just would bounce!), as well as rigid sides so it won't crush your laptop. make sure you're looking at "vertical" sleeves, so you can just slide the laptop out of your bag (and won't have to take the sleeve out every time).

Old 05-19-04, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Eeyore
buy a decent backpack from someone you trust (llbean or some other outdoor gear store) and you know it'll be completely waterproof. then just buy a laptop "sleeve" that you can slide your laptop in.
Yep, that's my plan. There's plenty of laptop backpacks out there that look like there's a laptop in it (square and bulky) so I want one that looks like a normal backpack.

I've been researching this for a couple days and I'm surprised at how few backpacks are actually waterproof. Even Northface, who makes dozens of styles of backpacks only makes one - one! - that is truly waterproof.

All the descriptions of the bags (Eastpack, JanSport, Samsonite, Targus, etc) rarely mention even being "water-resistant." I would think that's the first thing you do when you're designing a backpack.
Old 05-19-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the Sony sleeve for my VAIO and just put in my hiking backpack. I do the same with my cameras. No need for anyone to know I have a laptop and/or cameras inside my bag. The backpack has a poncho too for heavy rain.
Old 05-19-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm guessing that when northface says it's waterproof, that you could throw your bag in the water and it'd be ok. Unless you're going to take your laptop kayaking, you can probably go with any "real" hiking daypack.
Old 05-19-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use a bag from Spire that's been great. The main reason I bought it was because it is kinda oval and doesn't look like a computer bag. Very comfortable to wear. Yeah, its only water resistant, but you would have to toss it in a lake to do any real damage.
Old 05-19-04, 07:03 PM

tibag?