Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone with experience creating MMC Snap-ins?

Old 05-15-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone with experience creating MMC Snap-ins?

I need to create an MMC snap-in. Basically something that uses SSH to discover a Linux host and then be able to issue scripts to that host and send and recieve files. I have already grabbed the SDKs from MS and been reading up on it but it looks like you need to know ActiveX and COM...which i don't know. Anyone have any experience?
Old 05-15-04, 12:40 PM
X
Administrator

Yes, I've written them. It's not that difficult although debugging is a bit more complicated than a regular program.

Since MMC is a COM server you either have to add COM components that someone else has written or you have to write your own. Custom ones could be ActiveX or ATL objects that you can write in VB or C++.
Old 05-15-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks X...I've got VC++ going which I will have a bit of learning to do as my native language is Perl...but they are similar. Any good resources on COM server and such? I have been looking for documents specific to creating MMCs but I have not lucked out. This either means they are fairly simple to wrtie...or no one really writes them.