Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

passive ftp option in IE not found

Old 05-14-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

passive ftp option in IE not found

hey everyone,
while working on a client's computer, the option to turn on/off "passive ftp for firewall/dsl modem capability" was missing (this is found in the internet options-advanced tab).

computer was win98 with ie6sp1 installed, all critical updates installed, .net framework installed, IE6 reinstalled (and also tried repair)--- with no success to put that option back in there.

we checked another computer and that passive ftp option IS THERE. but here's the kicker, we also noticed that that passive ftp option was missing on another machine that was win2k w/IE 6sp1.

my question is, what would make that option dissapear in some IE installs??? and how do i get it in there?

any help/pointers would be greatful.
thanks!
Old 05-14-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can they use a different program such as filezilla?
Old 05-14-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry, no can do. they're using a web based application that transfers files via ftp through an activeX control being run on the site. so IE is the only option. (tried other browsers also and it doesn't work). =(