Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a program that can do scheduled backups to CDRW?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-13-04, 06:39 PM
Uber Member

Can someone recommend a program that can backup to CDRW or CDR? Needs to be able to be unattended too.

I've gotten a suggestion to use this program: http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/features.jhtml but I found an old thread in this forum that seemed to think that putting CDRW software on an important server is a bad idea. Especially if it was from Roxio.

This is on Windows 2000 server. It's already got a tape backup on it (Seagate STT20000A) but it also has a CDRW drive and we're really tired of using tape (this is from past experience, we've only been using this Seagate drive for about a month now...tapes are still kind of expensive too, compared to optical media).
Old 05-13-04, 07:05 PM
X
Administrator

I find it most convenient putting the backup software on a different computer than the server. 100Mb networking can burn a CD at a pretty good speed.

What kind of backups are you doing? Entire system? Changed files? Email?

How many megabytes or gigabytes? What time window do you have to do the backup?
Old 05-13-04, 07:33 PM
Uber Member

Database backup.

The primary server is already regularly backed up to a backup server. Once a week we do a back up to a tape drive. We'd like to do that once a week tape backup to a CDR instead.

It's 2 files and they're up to about 90MBs now.

We can put the backup software on a different computer, as we have other PCs with CDRWs. Is putting CDRW software on a server that bad an idea?
Old 05-13-04, 07:40 PM
X
Administrator

I have a copy of Roxio 4 (I believe) on a Win2K server now and it's been fine. But I really prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Two 90MB files would be simple to do from a different machine. However a full server backup is usually better being done from that machine.

I used to backup servers and workstations to tape all the time. I easily have 300 DAT tapes filled with backups. But restoring a Win2K system was a pain with tape, at least using the built-in backup software.

So I went to using Ghost. Now I image the server onto one of its drives (or you can send it over the network to another machine's drive) and back that image file up onto a DVD. It's fast and restores excellently. Ghost supposedly can backup onto a CD-R drive on the same machine but that method never works for me. Sometimes I backup to an external USB or Firewire hard drive and then move that drive to another computer to burn to DVD.
Old 05-13-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dantz Retrospect

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/personal.dtml

I have never used the full-featured version but I have used the scaled-down version (Retrospect Express) which comes OEMed with several back-up hardware devices and have always been very impressed.

When backing up to re-writable media it does versioned backups as well so you can retrieve and restore several previous versions of the same file. Backing up to CDs you would have your own type of versioning. It's called "keeping the older CDs."
Old 05-13-04, 07:44 PM
Uber Member

Ok, I'll tell my guy who's trying to set this up to run the software on another machine over the network for now and then start looking into using Ghost.

Thanks X.
Old 05-13-04, 07:48 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by JustinS
Dantz Retrospect

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/personal.dtml

I have never used the full-featured version but I have used the scaled-down version (Retrospect Express) which comes OEMed with several back-up hardware devices and have always been very impressed.

When backing up to re-writable media it does versioned backups as well so you can retrieve and restore several previous versions of the same file. Backing up to CDs you would have your own type of versioning. It's called "keeping the older CDs."
Thanks for the recommendation Justin.

I'll pass that along. I don't hear too many good things about roxio, so an alternative is much appreciated.
Old 05-13-04, 07:49 PM
X
Administrator

JustinS has a good method too, but it'll cost. I have someone who owes me a copy of Retrospect so I should give it a try sometime.

But Ghost is a lifesaver for quick backups and restores. No skeleton system install required, you just boot with a floppy or CD and backup or restore. The individual files in the image are available for extraction in an explorer-like interface too.
Old 05-13-04, 07:52 PM
Uber Member

Yes. I've been reading great things about Ghost for at least a few years now. I've been very bad about backing stuff up, so I've never gotten around to looking into it yet. I plan to change that soon!
Old 05-13-04, 08:24 PM

nti back up?