Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Fire in the hull! Basic motherboard Recs?

Old 05-10-04, 03:33 PM

Fire in the hull! Basic motherboard Recs?

I've heard the phrase "my motherboard got fried", but last Friday my motherboard literally started buring. I've never done any overclocking or anything like that, and I've been running it with the same AMD Athlon XP for about 3 years. It was an ECS K7S5A and in the upper left corner there is a verticle stack of I think 5 - 1 cm wide black chips. The lowest one was obliterated and the 2nd one down looked charred.

About 1 year ago I put it in a new case and had some grounding issues that I resolved using plastic screws. About 6 months ago I had to replace the power supply (with a quality one).

I'm upgrading now to a Dell, but I'd like to use the old parts and put together a basic computer for my daughter for simple games. I'm a little hesitant to put in another K7S5A (about $15 on eBay), but I have no idea what else I could use that would be economical.

I guess it's fortunate we were home when this happened since it's possible it could have burned down the house if we weren't. Is this something I did or a defective motherboard? I was wondering if the grounding problem wasn't completely resolved previously. Insight on the problem or motherboard recs would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is it fire in the hull or hole?
Old 05-10-04, 04:23 PM

It may be depend if your using it in a nautical sense refering to the hull of a ship.
Old 05-11-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure you didn't remove some jumpers on the motherboard to plug in a CD drive, and then when you turned it on, it caught fire!?

Just Kidding. A friend of mine did that almost 10 years ago.
It brings me to tears just thinking about it every time someone mentions a pc on fire. What was he thinking?

But seriously, that's scary your pc just burned up without any apparent tweaking on your part. I've never heard of ECS before, so I don't know about the quality of that MB. I've never had an ASUS or Gigabyte board burn up on me though. I'm sure there are lots of older motherboards on ebay right now, but if it were me, I'd probably never buy an ECS board again.
Old 05-11-04, 12:48 PM

This may be far from accurate, but I think ECS (aka Elitegroup) started out catering only to AMDs chips.

The funny thing, and, if true, horribly ironic, is that I briefly read in Dell's support forum that they use boards made by ECS. This would seem to conflict with my first statement though because Dell only sells Pentiums.