Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dsl or Cable recommendations?

Old 05-10-04, 03:02 PM

Dsl or Cable recommendations?

Any good Dsl or Cable companies? What do you use? How about Earthlink or SBC Yahoo?
Old 05-10-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This kind of info and service experience vary widely depending on locality. You might want to lurk over at dslreports.com for recommendation on service providers in you area.

That said. I have heard horror stories about dsl providers in my neck of the woods. But YMWV.
Old 05-10-04, 04:14 PM
Suspended

I have had Cable & DSL. Cable has never given me any problems, whereas DSL has. Usually lost connections for days at a time.

I currently have Charter cable and love it (and their new speed upgrade)
Old 05-10-04, 07:18 PM

I've had good luck with Charter Cable as well, though their tech support as been utterly useless, at least when I've dealt with them. Another peeve of mine with them is that whenever I move and they come to setup service in a new place their tech always insists that they have to install software on my pc to get the modem to work, which of course is not and has never been true. I've had Charter Cable internet now for 7 years and in the five times I've moved it's been the same experience.

Also, broadbandsreports.com has a great forum for looking up the past history of your local provider, as well as for testing your speed. Additionally, I've had good luck with a program called CableNut for tweaking my pc's speed over the modem. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have had Cox cable for about 4 years now and love it. Never a problem. I have used their support twice and was very helpful both times.

My parents have DSL (in another city). It is noticably slower then my cable.
Old 05-11-04, 09:26 AM

I had Verizon DSL when they 1st offered it and it was horrible. Service would be out for days at a time and customer service was horrible. I would wait for at least 2 hours then be told that they couldnt figure out the problem and would have to send a tech out. Then I switched to Comcast Cable and it was a vast improvement but the price was double what I paid to Verizon. Then I switched back to Verizon 2 months ago and notice a big improvement. No downtime so far and 1/2 the price of the cable modem. Although its not as fast as the 3 mb cable I can deal with 1.5 and half the price. And customer service is far better than it was.
Old 05-11-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Charter cable as well. No problems whatsoever.
Old 05-12-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I've had Comcast broadband since it became available in my area 3 or 4 years ago and had a couple of days worth of outages the first 3 months. Up solid ever since. Many of my friends got on the DSL bandwagon earlier, and get dropped or have to reset their connection at least once a week to this day.
Old 05-13-04, 10:00 PM

We used Charter cable for about 2 years and loved it- fast and reliable. Since moving to an area where there is no cable- we have had to switch to Verizon DSL - it is not nearly as reliable, the tech service is awful, and the speeds are not as good. If I had a choice in the matter I would choose cable anyday. Verizon tells us the speed issues are because we are located so far away from their station-which is just under 3 miles- they told us the closer we lived to it the faster it would be? If cable is available in your area- I would go with that.
stever