Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh Boy, I did it THIS time! I lost my D drive...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-10-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oye! I tried to reformat my computer at home (win'98), and not only did I wipe out my D drive, the computer only loads up in "Safe Mode." The computer is utterly useless now, and I am at a complete loss.

The Win'98 never even got to finish loading...it appeared to be almost finished, then it froze up with the Windows display on the screen.
Old 05-10-04, 01:00 PM

Usually when a computer will only start in Safe Mode it indicates that something is wrong. Usually some sort of misconfiguration.

Does the D Drive show up at all in the My Computer folder or in the control panel - System area?

When you re-formatted did the Windows program install completely?

Safe Mode usually lets you find out what the problem is, assuming of course you can figure out what the problem is.

I wish that when users encounter a problem with the computer when it reboots, that a self diagnostics program would start and tell you the likely problem(s). After all, not everyone who owns a computer is computer savvy.
Old 05-10-04, 01:18 PM

I'd bet the Safe Mode issue is due to the Win98 incomplete installation. At this point even if you fix the problem you are likely to have plenty of other issues you haven't even seen yet, so I'd recommend just reloading again, and hoping it's successful this time. Then you can deal with recovering any data you may have lost. I've used a program called GetDataBack from Runtime Software with good results in the past, but I'm sure there are others that are just as effective.