Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Network Card setup problems. Any help?

Old 05-10-04, 09:05 AM

Network Card setup problems. Any help?

Have had my network card on my computer for some time now.

Recently I have had some trouble with it.

Sometimes when I am on-line, the computer will freeze and I have to reboot.

When I do it won't connect. I look up Control Panel and system and notice that either it is disabled or not listed under Network Adapters. When I click on Network under Control Panel and look up those listed, everything is either listed or something is missing somehow.

Also when I sometimes reboot, it should ask for the network password, but doesn't pop up. Also it sometimes recognizes the network card all over again and reinstalls drivers for it. Also it sometimes finds "Unknown Device" and installs drivers for that as well, even though I have not installed any new hardware.

To get it to work again, I have to delete the network card from the System and all the protocols, clients and adpaters from the Network, then re-install them all over again. Sometimes when I reboot, either something is missing or is disabled or something. Sometimes it takes a few hours to get the configuration right.

As of now this is what is listed under "System" Nertwork Card

Under Network is listed the following - Client for Microsoft Networks - Dial Up Adapter and the Network Card, and for noth trhe Dial-Up Adapter and the Network Card is listed the following IPX, NetBEUI and TCP/IP Protocols.

Right now this is working, but I am sure that I will encounter more problems, and more than likely sooner than later.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-10-04, 02:49 PM
toq

Is it possible that the network card connection to your motherboard is a bit loose? How long has this problem existed and is it pretty consistent?
Old 05-10-04, 04:18 PM

Problem just happened within the last few days.

It happens every now and then.

Sometimes just a few hours, sometimes days.

Like today, it happened this morning. Computer froze again, rebooted but this time nothing changed. So its been working for several hours now.