Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Popups, Spybot, WhenUSync, Security failures

Old 05-09-04, 12:51 PM

Popups, Spybot, WhenUSync, Security failures

Ok, I have WinXP and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Lately, however, I've been deluged with popups despite spybot claiming that 100% of bad products are already blocked.

Also, My Word Files are now taking forever to load...as another member suggested, I found and erased a file called Normal.dot, but that didn't seem to help either.

I ran F-Prot for 26 hours and found no infected programs.

I have all the windows updates.

One program, WhenUSync seems to be somewhow attched to clocksync, and I can't get rid of it. It always says it's write protected or in use. Since this comes up as spyware though, I'd looove to get rid of it!!!

What else can I do? I don't want to wank everything up so high that I get shitty ping when playing First Person Shooters online....

Any other products avaliable, or maybe a setting I should change?
Old 05-10-04, 03:10 PM
toq

Well, to deal with the "WhenUSync" software, you might want to try Startup Control Panel to see if you can disable it (or clocksync) from ever starting again.

Also, when you mention popups, are you using a web browser at the time?
Old 05-10-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Get Ad-Aware as well...

Updates for Spybot Search and Destroy is currently on hold, while they are getting a new version of the program ready for release. If you go to SS&D's webpage, there is a link to their support forums, where you can download a Release Candidate (like a beta) of the new version.