Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Excel Formula Question

Old 05-06-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excel Formula Question

so i have a big excel report, with about 16000 records (accounts). 'country' is one of the fields on the records. i'm looking for an easy way to find out how many accounts each country has. there's gotta be an easier way than filtering by country and going through each one to get the numbers... any ideas?

thanks.
Old 05-06-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any easy solution would be to use the Autofilter function under the Data --> Filter menu. You can then filter by each country and on the information bar on the bottom it will tell you how many records for each country you have. I'm not sure if this is what you tried already though. You could also try creating a pivot table.
Old 05-06-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pivottable would be my suggestion also, if you wanted it automated and not manual [the Filter thing is great, if you have say fewer than 20 'countries'].
Old 05-06-04, 01:26 PM
Stealth Moderator

Pivot Table is by far the BEST way to go. You can summarize by all countries and do a count in a single shot. To do this, click on Data -> Pivot Table, then select the entire data table (usually auto-selected, then choose all the default options (including create new worksheet). Once the Pivot Table worksheet opens choose:
Row Field = Country
Data Items = Name

If you want a quick count for one country, then you can use the COUNTIF function. Say you want to know how many accounts "Canada" has:
1) Go to a blank cell (be sure this cell is NOT in the same column as your 'Country' column).
2) Click on the Insert Function button (looks like fx) next to the formula bar.
3) Choose COUNTIF function.
4) For Range, select the column for Country.
5) For Criteria, type in "Canada".

VOILA.