Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with Middlecaps Hack on Palm Pilot

Old 05-05-04, 04:01 PM
Retired

Help with Middlecaps Hack on Palm Pilot

I saw this app reccomended in another thread, but I can't seem to get it to work. For those unaware, it's a hack to allow you to get capital letters by defining one side of the grafitti input area to give capitals, and the other lowercase, so you don't have to go into the keyboard and hit shift.

No matter how I adjust the bars, I still get lower case letter when writing on the side that should be giving me caps.

Can anyone give me some help on setting this up? I'm using the Palm Tungsten E with Palm OS 5.2.1.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-05-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 09:27 PM
Stealth Moderator

It's the part of the Graffiti input area where you START the letter that determines if a letter is CAP or not. If that still doesn't help ...

Change the setting so that if you CROSS the alpha/numeric line you get capital letters. This works soooo much better.
Old 05-06-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some hacks don't work with PalmOS 5.X. I think Middlecaps hack is one of them. If you're running a hackmaster-like program and it still doesn't work, ditch MCH all together and find a copy of "CrossingOver". It'll do the exact same thing and is 5.X compatible.

-jason
Old 05-06-04, 11:19 AM
Retired

Nevermind. The Palm OS I have has the middlecaps type feature built in. I hadn't went through the tutorial yet.

You just have to start a letter on the Alpha side of the grafitti pad, and then cross the middle line into the numeric side to get caps (as Namja said).

In other words it's the same as the cross line mode of middlecaps, except the line is the division between the alpha/numeric section and can't be moved around like the middle caps one.
Old 05-06-04, 11:41 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Nevermind. The Palm OS I have has the middlecaps type feature built in. I hadn't went through the tutorial yet.
I like, I like. About time Palm OS took some useful hacks and made them part of the OS.
Old 05-07-04, 12:22 PM
Retired

Originally posted by namja
I like, I like. About time Palm OS took some useful hacks and made them part of the OS.
Yeah, it's definitely cool. Especially since, from what I read on a couple palm boards, my PDA/OS doesn't support Hacks.

Guess that's why I couldn't get either setting of middle caps to work. I'd like to have tried the define area rather than cross line mode, as a couple letter are a little tough to get caps in cross line sometimes.
Old 05-07-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless they've changed the OS radically (I'm still running 5.0.0 on my Tungsten T), Palm OS5 does still run hacks, just not in the same way that OS4 did- TealMaster runs hacks better than Hackmaster did, and a lot of the old hacks needed to be rewritten to run on OS5.

I used to run a ton of hacks on my PalmV, but haven't really needed them much since I started using zLauncher., over a year ago. I'd assume most decent hacks have been rewritten for OS5 by now...

-jason