Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sound Quality Issue on PC. Options.

Old 05-05-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sound Quality Issue on PC. Options.

The last area that I appear to be getting to on our computer is the sound quality and sound consistancy. It should probably not have come last but something had to. The Desktop computer has some good basic specs and runs well for a 2 year old unit. There are some 4 year old Koss's attached to it for sound and they appear to work well when used with the correct Music program.

The Main Issue:
We have a seperate user in XP. It is our son. We share the Admin User and he has his own section to wreck. Without a way to better process the sound coming out we appear to be at the mercy of whatever the originating material is from. When our son uses it (he's 2 1/2) the sound volume has to roll up and down and sideways, depending on what he is doing. So whether it is a game or music or video we are being pummeled by both the volume changes and the quality changes.
In use:
A variety of programs from the basic list. Realplayer, Windows Media Player, downloaded Kazaa files, game demo's, game playing, etc.

Now we need a standard to set for our use. And if possible a standard to set for him so that it is not so stupidly troublesome. The Audio Card is old and is not allowing us to perhaps channel all the information through it.

Resolution:
We are looking to simplify how this is all working. Have tried some standard tests and are amazed at the difference not only from particular programs but also from our User to our son's User. A file played in Kazaa sounds one way in our User ID and completely horrid in his User ID. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 05-06-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm starting to believe no one can hear this thread.
Old 05-06-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea. Check expanded volume controls and turn everything up and control it with the volume knob on your speakers. Do so in each user profile.