Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card recommendations?

Old 05-05-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Video card recommendations?

Fathers' Day is fast approaching and I am considering, with my mom and brothers chipping in, getting an new video card for my dad. He discovered first person shooters about a year ago. He found my copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and beat all three difficulty settings within a few months. He's since moved onto the Medal of Honor series.

The problem is our computer is nearly three years old. The specs aren't too shabby, it's a P4 1.4 GHz with 512 megs of RAM. The main bottleneck is the video card. It's an nVidia GeForce 2 FX (or whatever the bottom line version of the GeForce 2 was) with 32 megs of VRAM. It was fine for what they used the computer for, but the 3D games are really pushing it, especially the later expansions for Medal of Honor.

I've done some reading but am not really sure what the best card for their computer would be. I want to get him Far Cry for Fathers' Day and I know it requires a good card. I'm considering the ATI 9800 Pro 128. Is that a better choice than the nVidia GeForce FX 5900? Either can be had for around $200 with 128 MB VRAM.

How do the upcoming ATI x800 and nVidia 6800 compare to one another? I assume the prices will be ridiculous at the beginning.