Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Needing help for Reinstalling WIndows

Old 05-04-04, 11:28 PM

Needing help for Reinstalling WIndows

ok my friend just erased hard drive buy using the format c: command. Now after this I have no idea what to do, i use to know what to do, but it crossed my mind

he's trying to put windows ME in

not sure if he has to do partions or what

so if anyone can point out a step by step thing to do this it would be glady appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 05-05-04, 02:35 AM
Stealth Moderator

Generally, you partition your drive BEFORE you format the drive (unless you're using some specialized software to partition). If you formatted a drive, then you don't need to partition.

Anyway, the first thing you (or your friend) need to do is to get rid of Windows ME and get yourself a real OS. If you insist on installing Windows ME, then probably the easiest way is to boot from the CD (Windows ME installation CD). With the CD in the CD drive, start the computer. If it doesn't automatically boot from the CD, then you need to restart the computer then enter the BIOS (like hitting F8 or Delete or F2 or some key when the computer just turns on) then select in the BIOS menu the order of boot. You need to have the CD-ROM selected before IDE-0 (main HD).
Old 05-05-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk God

WINME SUCKS!!!!!!!!

wait..
does that count as a thread crap
Old 05-05-04, 10:34 AM

ah.... gotcha

it's not my idea to put windows me in, it's his idea
Old 05-05-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try Windows NC-17.
Old 05-05-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WinME? That's a huge step backward... WinXP is vastly more stable and maintainable. But if you insist...

Note that older machines often don't recognize CD-ROMs as bootable devices - you have to load a driver to reach the drive, and obviously you have to do that after or during the boot process (from another drive.)

If this is the case, then do the following:

1) Create a Windows ME boot floppy disk. The tools on the WinME CD-ROm will probably let you do this (look for something like "Rescue Disk"), but if not, you can download a floppy boot disk image from many legit sources on the Internet.

2) If it's not already there, throw a CD-ROM drive driver onto the floppy disk and register it with config.sys so that it gets loaded during the boot sequence. You probably need a line in there like "device=a:\oakcdrom.sys" or something similar.

3) Boot from the disk and repartition or reformat your drive. You must reformat it after booting from this disk, since Win2k and WinXP use a different file system that is unreadable to WinME.

If successful, you've booted with a WinME system disk with CD-ROM drivers loaded, and a clean hard drive. You can now start installing WinME.

- David Stein