Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Choosing Dial-up ISP Help!?

Old 05-04-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Choosing Dial-up ISP Help!?

Hello. My mother in law currently has AOL and wants to switch to another dial-up ISP preferrably cheaper and if possible faster. I see these commercials where certain dialups are faster- how does that work? (I have broadband) Anyone have any suggestions? She was looking at Juno, Netzo, People PC, etc. I can't tell them apart. What should she look for?
Thanks a bunch Guys!
Old 05-04-04, 11:11 AM

from TechTV:

Call No. 1: Fast dialup, kill kill
Pierce in Fayetteville, Ark., is stuck using dialup. He can't get cable or DSL. He's looking for free solutions to speed up his dialup connection.

Leo and Patrick say there's no way to speed up a dialup connection. You can tweak your settings until you're blue in the face, but you'll always be restricted to the dialup bandwidth.

Leo says the supercharged dialup services that AOL and other ISPs offer aren't really faster connections. The ISPs are compressing data, mostly images. You end up with low-quality graphics on websites.

You should see if satellite broadband is available in your area. Or see if your ISP will let you perform modem bonding, where you use two connections that act as one big connection to the Internet.