Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How long till an expired domain becomes available?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How long till an expired domain becomes available?

Old 05-03-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
How long till an expired domian becomes availble?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a domain, and I noticed that it expired on May 1, 2004. The owner just has one of those buisness card websites which has not been updated in a year, easy, so it's not looking like he's gonna do anything with it. Now when will this website become availble for me to buy? It's my wife's maiden name, and it's not common so there's not a ton of interest in it. note: .net .us .org .us .ws are all still availible which should show you the lack of interest. It was registered ad domains.yahoo.com, and I know that there's a grace period, before it goes back on the market, how long is that? Should I wait? Should I backorder? Should I email the owner?

from whois search results from godaddy
Creation Date........ 2001-05-01
Registration Date.... 2001-05-01
Expiry Date.......... 2004-05-01
Old 05-03-04, 09:53 AM

I don't know when it'll become available, but I advise that you DON'T email the current owner. He may decide to renew it as a "squatter" just so he can squeeze some bucks out of you.
Old 05-03-04, 11:54 AM

If it's expired, it should be availble.
Old 05-03-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

grace period is about 45 days, but all together it takes about 2-3 months before an expired domain is actually available again. You could try registering for it using a place that will backorder a domain name. I think both register and godaddy do it. It will cost a little extra, but cheaper than emailing the current owner I bet! Good luck.
Old 05-03-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
2-3 months... eekkkk

oh well. I'll just wait it out, and if I get it great. I was hoping the Domains.Yahoo.com had a confirmed time limit.
Old 05-03-04, 03:42 PM
Stealth Moderator

goLUCKY, I experienced the same thing a couple years ago. A domain had expired and I was waiting for it to become available. The former owner renewed it about 2 weeks after the expiration date. Oh well.
Old 05-04-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, 2 months at least. It goes on hold at the current registrar for a couple weeks. Then it enters the registry "Redemption Period" for one month. Then it enters the Deletion Cycle for another couple weeks. Finally, when it's deleted from the global registry, you can register it.

You'll probably want to guarantee yourself a change to register the name by using a backorder service. If you don't, you don't know when the name will actually be deleted, so you'll probably miss it, and someone else might snatch it up.

I've used GoDaddy's Backorder service successfully in the past before. Also, SnapNames is one of the industry leaders, but they are kind of expensive.