Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Memory prices?

Old 05-02-04, 10:56 PM

Memory prices?

I knew the new Apple PowerBooks were coming out so I started keeping an eye on Crucial's RAM prices.

Several weeks ago 1GB of DDR PC2700 333MHz was $329.99. Then this week it had gone up to $434.99. I checked it again last night and it was $479.99. It went up $150 in a few weeks? What's going on? Are prices going to continue going up?

Never mind. Thanks, Google. Rats.

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/2....shtml?tid=137

VeggiePossum23 writes "PC WORLD has an article about rising concerns that computer manufacturers will be cutting the amount of bundled RAM they sell with their PCs owing to rising prices of dynamic memory. The article claims that spot pricing shows a rise of almost $15.00 for 256MB modules of DDR DRAM in some markets. According to a Reuters article on ZDNet, the price rises are caused by shortage of memory chips, and this is causing the prices of memory to raise at the fastest rate in four years. Even Intel is said to be worried at the overall trend of price hikes for all types of memory. The Inquirer has a similiar article from a couple of weeks ago which includes a chart showing how the third-party memory manufacturers are doing. Kingston tops the chart for revenue."
Old 05-02-04, 11:02 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, a good sign for the economy but bad for computer users.

Look for good deals with rebates now and then jump on them.

I got 512MB of PC2700 DDR about two weeks ago for $50 at Best Buy. The deals are there if you look hard enough.
Old 05-02-04, 11:07 PM

The stock PB comes with 256MB. The price difference between the 512MB and 1GB are huge everywhere I look. I think I already know the answer, but how much would I notice the difference between 768MB and 1.25GB? It'll be my first laptop and I plan on doing a lot of video editing.
Old 05-02-04, 11:14 PM
X
Administrator

It probably uses pretty expensive chips to get that density in the small size.

I don't know what the difference would be on a PowerBook, but it could be substantial if you're editing video or something.
Old 05-03-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you just going to be doing casual home movie editing with iMovie, or do you do a lot of hardcore professional editing with Final Cut Pro? If it's the latter, then you probably will want 1.25 GB. If it's the former, 768 MB should be fine.
Old 05-03-04, 02:16 PM

For now just some heavy iMovie-ing, but possibly Final Cut down the road. I think I should get the 1GB. Has anyone ever used memory4less.com? They seem to have some of the better prices and their ratings average on pricegrabber is 4 out of 5 stars with 125 ratings. It's rating is higher than CDW.
Old 05-03-04, 02:22 PM
X
Administrator

Do you have a part number for what you're looking for? Is it specific to the PowerBook?
Old 05-03-04, 02:56 PM

I don't think so. I don't know a lot about this, but it looks like as long as it is PC2700 333MHz SODIMM I should be okay. And I've had enough people tell me to stick to name brands that I believe them.
Old 05-04-04, 02:43 PM

Has anyone ever bought from memory4less.com?