Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD Burner newb....some questions

Old 05-02-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Burner newb....some questions

My old Plex cd burner just died, and I've been wanting to get a DVD burner for a while, but haven't had a real good excuse to waste the money. So, some questions are in order.

1. Are all DVD burners capable of burning normal audio cds?

2. I want to backup all of my DVDs so I don't have to play the originals. I'm assuming this can be done legally w/o much trouble?

3. I'm also assuming that PS2 DVDs can't be copied and played w/o modding your PS2?

4. I might like to burn home movies to DVD someday - are there camcorders now that burn easily to DVD?

5. How easy would it be (or is it possible at all) to connect the burner (computer) to my DirecTivo and burn recorded things?

6. Does it matter what kind of system I have? It's not too powerful.

7. What are my options for burners - internal, external? I've also always seen this +/- RW crap - what's the difference?

8. I've noticed in passing the discussion of dual layer DVDs, or something like that. What is it, and how should it affect my buying decision?

9. What burner do you recommend? Under $150, the cheaper the better.

Thanks a lot for any help, it's much appreciated.
Old 05-02-04, 04:13 PM
X
Administrator

2) We don't discuss copying copyrighted DVDs at DVD Talk. There are other sites to get that info.

3) We don't discuss copying copyrighted DVDs at DVD Talk. There are other sites to get that info.
Old 05-02-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch! Thanks Mr. Admin. Could you tell me if it's LEGAL?!? If not, I'm not going to pursue it anywhere else anyways. Now how about the other questions?
Old 05-02-04, 05:15 PM
X
Administrator

In the case of movie DVDs it really isn't legal because you have to crack the CSS encryption in order to copy the movie and that's a violation of the DMCA. If it weren't for the encryption you'd "only" be dealing with the copyright issues and then you might be able to make "fair use" arguments.