Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

b vs g?

Old 05-02-04, 12:58 PM

b vs g?

A few things got fried from a lightning bolt. One of those things was my wireless router. I had been using a D-Link 802.11b, and there are two other computers that use the same standard to connect with it. Should I upgrade and buy a router with an 802.11g?
I'm looking at the Netgear WGR614. But then I also saw a top brand 802.11b going for about $29 (before rebate), and that is hard to pass up.

Will I notice a difference when/if I upgrade the other components, and I go with a 'g' router?

TIA
Old 05-02-04, 01:42 PM
X
Administrator

If you're only browsing the internet and not copying lots of data between several of your own computers, "g" will not help you at all.

"b" is 11Mbps. Your internet connection is substantially less.

How about a Microsoft router for $5 after rebates? You'll may have to special order it since it may not be in stock.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&u=c&WT.mc_t=I
Old 05-02-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
If you're only browsing the internet and not copying lots of data between several of your own computers, "g" will not help you at all.

How about a Microsoft router for $5 after rebates? You'll may have to special order it since it may not be in stock.

What he said!

I got "b" over a year ago and been fine with it. In that year, I think I have only done 2 computer to computer swapping.

Got to one of those web sites and check how fast your connection is. Remember, no matter what system you have, it will not go faster then connection is. For internet surfing anyway.
Old 05-02-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

G all the way baby.. my policy is that when i upgrade/renew stuff I get whatever is the best available (assuming price isnt insane).. G is very affordable and will be in everything in the future...
Old 05-02-04, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by X

I heard this Microsoft one has a short range. Is that not a widespread issue? I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 05-02-04, 07:52 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know. Might as well give it try and return it if it's bad.
Old 05-02-04, 08:06 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. Especially with Circuit City's no questions asked return policy!
Old 05-02-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ravan
G all the way baby.. my policy is that when i upgrade/renew stuff I get whatever is the best available (assuming price isnt insane).. G is very affordable and will be in everything in the future...
Well if price is not an issue, then I agree with you. But for the most part G is still higher then B. At least for a complete system. For example, I got B router, 2 usb adapters and PC card for about $100. G would have be at least 250. Now I realize G has come down, but unless you NEED the compute to computer speed or there is no price difference, no point in getting G.

When I got my Dell laptop it was only $40 to upgrade to G. But why throw $40 away? 95% of my wireless stuff is net surfing is over the internet. And my cable will max out at about 1.5 MPS. So even if you take into account distance and walls, got plenty of room with the 11MPS on my B system. Remember G will not increase distance.