Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD Rom is choking on Audio CDs, CD-Roms, etc.

Old 04-29-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
DVD Rom is choking on Audio CDs, CD-Roms, etc.

I am not sure how it performs on DVDs, but my DVD Rom has been acting up for a while on audio CDs as well as burned CD Roms (either 150-250 meg videos, or mp3 discs.)

I am using Win Me, with 256 megs of ram, and WinAmp 2.91. The DVD Rom was a generic one, without manuals, software, etc. I am using the standard Windows CD-Rom driver. In the file system control panel on System, it is set for a large supplemental cache, and optimized for quad-speed or higher read ahead. I have also tried it with no read ahead settings, with the same results.

I am not sure when the problem started, although I am pretty sure that it was working fine for a good while. If I had experienced problems like this after I first installed it, I would have yanked the drive and put my old one back in.

What happens is, when I go to play a CD or access large files from the CDRom, I will be able to play some of the music or start transferring the data, and then it will freeze my system for a minute or so.

The music will stop, but WinAmp will continue counting the seconds as if it were playing. If I try to pause WinAmp, it will freeze for a bit, or even freeze the whole system (except for the mouse.) It seems to freeze at the same point of the song, and when I pause and unpause, it will still be silent.

I have tried using the controls on the DVD Rom itself to control it, and it still freezes after a bit.
Old 04-29-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a similar problem. When reading the outer tracks of an audio CD, my CD-ROM drive couldn't do it anymore. Also, running installer applications from a CD would fail.

I replaced the CD-ROM drive, and everything worked again. Based on your description, I would suspect a failing drive also. If you have an extra optical drive lying around, I would suggest replacing it and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-29-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try the instructions here under "How To Enable the DMA Setting on Your CD Rom Drive" :

http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm
Old 04-30-04, 10:48 AM

- Enable DMA
- Update the Firmware (www.rpc1.org)
They should have tools so that you can identify the drive manufacturer and firmware version.
Old 05-01-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
DMA was already enabled, and the firmware showed up as "0x." Not very informative, hmm? I will open the case and see what brand is on the label, and try updating the firmware from that.

I am thinking the drive is probably dying, as I got it at a "First Saturday" computer sale for $35 bucks, as a pulled OEM part.