New Ad Tech Overcomes Ad Blockers

Old 04-28-04, 12:28 PM
Stealth Moderator

From Yahoo News - Technology:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c_cmp/19202046

Desktop Pipeline News

Falk eSolutions AG launched Tuesday a new ad targeting option to automatically detect pop-up blocker software on users' computers and instantly convert pop-up and pop-under inventory to alternate formats for optimal delivery to those users.

This dynamic serving technology, available with the upcoming release of Falk's AdSolution FX product, is an option that will allow serving of standard pop-up or similar alternative rich media creative to all users, regardless of the use of pop-up blocking software and without requiring additional creative or production costs for ad conversion.

Currently, there is a large and growing discrepancy between the volume of pop-up advertising impressions booked by advertisers and that which is actually seen by online users. According to the company, Falk AdSolution internal tracking has seen its publisher customers losing up to 50 percent of pop-up/under ad impression inventory, causing substantial accountability problems for publishers, who charge by ad display. Falk says that, with AdSolution FX, these counting differences, in large part due to pop-up ad blockers, will return to a normal and calculable amount similar to usage on computers with no pop-up blocker running.

Falk AdSolution ad server platform also provides full frequency cap controls, enabling publishers to protect their users from over-saturation, as well as more easily target specific and relevant advertising formats to any audience segment based on user settings.
The cat-and-mouse game continues ...
Old 04-28-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The popups wouldn't be a problem if they didn't cover the whole $#$% screen. Even with the Google toolbar, I can't get rid of those damn flash ads that cover text and drive you crazy.
Old 04-28-04, 02:51 PM
toq

nickdawgy, could you possibly give some examples of sites where this happens. I'm just curious because I haven't seen one of these yet.
Old 04-28-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by toq
nickdawgy, could you possibly give some examples of sites where this happens. I'm just curious because I haven't seen one of these yet.
ESPN's website likes to use huge flash ads sometimes (although not right now, it seems).
Old 04-28-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jeremy517
ESPN's website likes to use huge flash ads sometimes (although not right now, it seems).
Exactly what I was thinking of. Especially the message board area. It will fill up part of the screen and make reading posts impossible. IGN.com is another site that does this, but at least you can close most of their ads.
Old 04-29-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

those bastids
Old 04-29-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check the free download sticky and look for the No Flash.
Old 04-29-04, 02:22 AM
Banned

I use Ad Smasher. It stops popups ads, flash ads, floating ads, dialog ads, message boxes, timer ads, web bugs, and 3rd party activity.
Old 04-29-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been using Mozilla Firebird for about 5 months now, and I haven't seen a single popup since the day I installed it, seriously.
Old 04-29-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

yea.. that one that kept having the SUV drive accross my screen pissed me off
Old 04-29-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by jw2299
I've been using Mozilla Firebird for about 5 months now, and I haven't seen a single popup since the day I installed it, seriously.
pop ups are easy to stop
this topic is about the alt methods being used instead of pop ups
Old 04-29-04, 12:08 PM
Stealth Moderator

what twikoff said.

jw2299, the marketing people are coming up with alternatives to popups, which will circumvent popup blockers. maybe you haven't seen them yet, but they're coming.
Old 04-29-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. It's an escalating arms race now. Just like the spam wars have been for the past few years.
Old 04-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Hmmm, maybe the users with active ad-blocking technology DON'T WANT TO SEE THE FREAKIN' ADS???

If someone is forced to see an ad against their wishes, how does that equate to advertising money well-spent? I would think irate users would avoid the products that were advertised.
Old 04-29-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing with pop up ads is that they work. Their click-thru rate is quite high.

As long as surfers click on intrusive ads, the ads race will continue.
Old 05-09-04, 01:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

Recently, I've been getting more pop-ups. On one computer, I have the Yahoo Companion (with pop-up blocker) and on the other computer, I have the Google Toolbar (with pop-up blocker). I get maybe 4-5 pop-ups a day.

What gives?
Old 05-09-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ditto.
Old 05-09-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by namja
Recently, I've been getting more pop-ups. On one computer, I have the Yahoo Companion (with pop-up blocker) and on the other computer, I have the Google Toolbar (with pop-up blocker). I get maybe 4-5 pop-ups a day.

What gives?
There are ways to get around the Google blocker.

It's not too hard - it's just that most web developers suck, so it's taken a while for that knowledge to trickle down to the gumbys that create ads.