Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cursor in XP behaving erratically

Old 04-27-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cursor in XP behaving erratically

Has anyone else noticed their mouse cursor in XP is not moving smoothly? Once in a while, the cursor would 'jump' to one of the corner of the screen, and then freeze for several seconds. I would be unable to move the cursor with my mouse in that few seconds. Then after a few seconds, everything would be back to normal. I noticed this quirk for a while now, but decided to post on this forum now to see if anyone else is experiencing this quirk. If so, have you done anything to fix the problem? I don't know what could cause my cursor to 'jump' like that and to freeze for several seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-27-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you have an optical mouse? I noticed that after a while, my mouse cursor would just fly to the upper left or upper right of the screen randomly. It had something to do with me using the mouse on a "reflective" surface. I didn't think it was that reflective, but upon using a mouse pad (knock on wood), no more problems.
Old 04-27-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Win XP cursor will also occasionally start to drift, either vertically or horizontally. I have a standard IntelliMouse with a ball. ????
Old 04-27-04, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Lampei
Do you have an optical mouse? I noticed that after a while, my mouse cursor would just fly to the upper left or upper right of the screen randomly. It had something to do with me using the mouse on a "reflective" surface. I didn't think it was that reflective, but upon using a mouse pad (knock on wood), no more problems.
Yes. I'm using the Logitech mouse. I don't use a mouse pad, maybe that's the problem. I can see why it would 'jump' to corner of screen if it has problem reading from the reflective surface. But why would it freeze for several seconds? And if my surface is the cause of the problem, then why does this quirky behavior only occur very rarely. Like maybe once every 10+ hours of usage?

Anyways, thanks for the advice on getting a mouse pad. I guess I will get one just like before when I had that old mechanical mouse.
Old 04-27-04, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
My Win XP cursor will also occasionally start to drift, either vertically or horizontally. I have a standard IntelliMouse with a ball. ????
Not sure what your problem is, but do you take out the ball from your mouse and clean it? When I had my old mechanical mouse, I use to have to take it out and clean it once in a while. I even have to clean the plastic rollers inside the mouse that are in contact with the ball. Those plastic rollers get so dirty, they become insensitive to the rolling of the ball.
Old 04-28-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd also add that after cleaning the ball....clean the rollers inside the mouse.

Gunk builds up on the rollers. Just take a small sharp knife and scrape it off....all around the rollers.

This is most likely your problem.

Easy fix though.
Old 04-28-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I clean the mouse on a regular basis, so that is not the problem. To clarify, the cursor moves on the screen without the mouse moving. It just starts to slowly drift up/down or sideways. It stops when I actually move my mouse.
Old 04-28-04, 10:55 AM

Silly question, but have you updated the drivers for your mouse?