Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

connecting x-box thru surround sound rec for dolby 5.1 sound?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-27-04, 11:24 AM
Cool New Member

can someone assist me in proper connections for my x-box thru a surround sound receiver for dolby 5.1 sound output. I have two x-box output cables, one with red, white audio rca terminals and yellow video rca terminal. The other cable has red and white audio rca terminals and then it has a blue, green and red rca terminals which i dont have any idea what the cable hook to. I can get stereo sound out of the first cable but nothing out of the second cable. My satellite antenna is monitored thru my VCR. Manuals with the xbox, surround sound receiver, tv, vcr, are no help with installing. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you only have a Surround Sound Receiver and not a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver than you've got no shot of accomplishing this. If you do have a 5.1 receiver, then you obviously can't get 5.1 audio without a coax or optical audio connection. As neither are on the xbox by default, you'll need to purchase the Advanced AV Pack and a digital optical cable.
Old 04-27-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: connecting x-box thru surround sound rec for dolby 5.1 sound?

Originally posted by sambo777
can someone assist me in proper connections for my x-box thru a surround sound receiver for dolby 5.1 sound output. I have two x-box output cables, one with red, white audio rca terminals and yellow video rca terminal.
Those cables are standard composite audio/video cables. The red and white cables are left/right audio cables. The yellow cable is a video cable. This is about the most basic hookup you can have (other than RF cables), and it'll only provide you with left/right stereo sound and a marginal picture.

The other cable has red and white audio rca terminals and then it has a blue, green and red rca terminals which i dont have any idea what the cable hook to. I can get stereo sound out of the first cable but nothing out of the second cable. My satellite antenna is monitored thru my VCR. Manuals with the xbox, surround sound receiver, tv, vcr, are no help with installing. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The red/white cables are still the left/right audio cables. The red/green/blue cables are component video cables, which will give you the best video picture. You'd need a component video input on your TV to use them. Using those red/white cables, the best you'll be able to get is simulated surround sound from a Dolby Pro-Logic II receiver. If you want real surround sound, you'll need to buy a digital optical cable (also called "toslink cable" by some places). You'll need to run that cable from either the advanced AV Pack (if you use s-video cables) or the Hi-Def AV pack (if you use component video). That cable will run directly from one of those packs to your receiver's digital optical input.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel, Esq.; 04-27-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D412 and does have dolby 5.1. It also has one optical input. My other concern is that since my satelite signal is being monitored thru my vcr with an rf signal out to the tv, am i loosing significant quality. The only inputs on the back of my tv are coax and white, red, yellow rca jacks
Old 04-27-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sambo777
my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D412 and does have dolby 5.1. It also has one optical input. My other concern is that since my satelite signal is being monitored thru my vcr with an rf signal out to the tv, am i loosing significant quality. The only inputs on the back of my tv are coax and white, red, yellow rca jacks
I'm not too well informed about satellite related matters, but I suspect you're right.

For the Xbox, you'd want to buy the XBox Advanced AV pack. I think you can hook up both composite and s-video to it... you'll have to use composite, since your TV doesn't have s-video inputs. You'll use a digital optical cable, and run that from your AV pack to your receiver Digital Optical input. You'll also want to run your yellow composite video cable from your AV pack into one of the yellow inputs on the receiver's rear. Then you'll run another yellow cable from your receiver's monitor output to your television's yellow input.