Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

website design 101

Old 04-27-04, 09:16 AM
Banned

website design 101

I am going to throw up a website to host my music to get it out there. i know absolutely nothing about html/flash/hosting MP3's/etc. where should i start? thanks for any help. rock on.
Old 04-27-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

where should i start?
Pay me to make one for you.
Old 04-27-04, 11:17 AM

Just do a google search for html help or something along those lines. You'll get a ton of sites. Start simple...learn basic html coding and how to use cascading style sheets. Once your comfortable with those, move on to flash, scripts, etc.
Old 04-27-04, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Shadow Ace
Just do a google search for html help or something along those lines. You'll get a ton of sites. Start simple...learn basic html coding and how to use cascading style sheets. Once your comfortable with those, move on to flash, scripts, etc.
thanks.
Old 04-27-04, 02:41 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe not the best solution, but how about starting off with something like Microsoft's Frontpage at least just to get to know how thingw work, format, etc. Then once you move onto or need bigger, better things, you can discover all the rest. There are also a lot of built in templates in Frontpage you can at least start with.

Also, check with your provider, some of them offer some basic web services with templates for web sites.
Old 04-27-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ngp
Maybe not the best solution, but how about starting off with something like Microsoft's Frontpage at least just to get to know how thingw work, format, etc. Then once you move onto or need bigger, better things, you can discover all the rest. There are also a lot of built in templates in Frontpage you can at least start with.
I was first exposed to HTML with FrontPage 1.0 on Windows 3.11 close to a decade ago. Now I program web applications in primarily PHP for my job.

While the code that FrontPage, Dreamweaver, or the myriad of free alternatives) produce is generally, for all intents and purposes, shit, they are a good way to learn the basics of how objects relate to each other in a web document.
Old 04-28-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Pay me to make one for you.
no pay me....

seriously though i have found http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ to be very informative when i was learning. Try there.. i'm sure you'll find what you seek
webmonkey http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/ is very nice too
Old 04-28-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't want to know any of the inner workings, you might want to use a Content Management System (better known as a "blog"). One of the purposes of these things is to make it easy for non-techies to write/upload stuff. I like Movable Type.
Old 04-28-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
While the code that FrontPage, Dreamweaver, or the myriad of free alternatives) produce is generally, for all intents and purposes, shit, they are a good way to learn the basics of how objects relate to each other in a web document.
While I would say that some of the code that both Frontpage and Dreamweaver make is quite bad, I wouldn't say that it is just shit. I haven't used FrontPage in a while, but it really did make some horrible code. However, I've been using Dreamweaver for a long time, and it can make some great code with the right adjustments in the settings. It also has some great features for maintaing large sites like I do. I would definitely say give Dreamweaver a try, IMO it is great for novice and experienced developers alike.
Old 04-28-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second Jonny2k1, dreamweaver isn't terrible. MX 2004 is pretty darn good IMO.

-BlasTech
Old 04-29-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Find a page you like and click view source then steal steal steal.