Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

at wits end! random xp shutdowns help!

Old 04-27-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at wits end! random xp shutdowns help!

hi

i was having some problems with some malware/spyware per this thread; http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=357375

i also had a problem with xp randomly shutting down for no apparent reason.

RKillgore posted this about the shutdown problem;

"Go to Start>Run, type in dcomcnfg, click OK
Double click Component Services>Computers
Right click My Computer and choose Properties
Click the Default Properties tab
Uncheck "Enable Distributed COM on this computer", click Apply, OK
Close window"

i followed that advice and everything was cool untill a few days ago. the shutdown problem is back. i folloed Rkillgore's suggestion again but it was still unchecked.

i have been using;

adaware
spy sweeper
spy guard
spy blaster
hijack this
cwshredder
norton anti-virus
AVG

for the most part the comptuer shuts down and restarts before the scans are complete.

initally i thought this might be a hardware problem or something over heating, but since the problem disappeared for a week or two after following RKillgore's suggestion, i think it must be something else.

if anyone has any suggestion or needs more info please let me know. these shutdowns are killing me.

as a side question, i previously downloaded spybot search & destroy. i'm not sure if the program is working. i double click it to run it but no window opens nor does it appear in the taskbar. does it run totally in the background or do i need to do a fresh install?

thanks
Old 04-27-04, 01:47 AM
Banned

Why would you want that service running? It allows people to use your computer from a remote location. Is there any reason you would need someone to use your computer from a far away place?

I would not run that service unless I knew exactly what it was doing, and why it was needed.

I would probably do a re-install of the operating system. That will get rid of everything you have on it, but it is the best way to start clean. Then you can secure up your system before it gets the spyware again.

A few things I would do to make it more difficult to get a virus. One, when you surf the internet, disable all active-x. I know sites use it for legitimate purposes, but I would not surf the web with it available for all.

You could also open up a command box and type "netstat -a" and that will tell you all the connections your computer has open on a network. If you see more than a half a dozen lines plus the current page you are at, chances are you have a virus or spyware.
Old 04-27-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

initally i thought this might be a hardware problem or something over heating, but since the problem disappeared for a week or two after following RKillgore's suggestion, i think it must be something else.
I had a problem with BSoDs and spontaneous rebootings; it was due to the CPU heat sink being clogged with lint.