Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Internet Cookies Question...Please Help!

Old 04-26-04, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

Internet Cookies Question...Please Help!

Okay see if I can explain this good enough for one of you to help me out. I surf the internet using Internet Explorer. I was wondering some things about internet cookies though. I noticed that every website I go to that Internet Explorer puts a cookie out there on my system. Question is though would my system put out cookies of websites I have never visited? See if I can give you an example. Say I was to do a search at google.com...it would put the cookie out there for google.com but would it put out a cookie for a website that is related to google.com. Kind of like a partner website? Does this make any sense to anyone??? I hope so. ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-26-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loading ads on webpages can give you cookies. So the answer to your question is yes.

Just loading up DVDTALK can give you 3 or 4 cookies. So far i've gotten DVDTALK, qksrv, bfast ... All adnetworks.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 04-26-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 12:16 PM

Right, if a web site shows a graphic that's stored on another server (for example, an ad banner that comes from the ad companies server), then that server can store a cookie on your computer.

I have Mozilla set to ask me every time a site wants to set a cookie, and remember my choice. I let the sites I'm looking at set cookies, but deny all the ad cookies. And since those are remembered, it'll just automatically deny the ad server cookies from now on.