Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Have to return a case---HELP!

Old 04-25-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Have to return a case---HELP!

I have to send my case back because it is defective. Neweggs policy is that I have to pay to ship it back and they will it ship a new one to me for free. I tried to price this out and the shipping is coming out to the cheapest at $25.00. Newegg shipped it to me free initially ( I guess cases ship free). I just cant figure out how to send this back cheaper. I cant believe newegg would ship these cases free if fedex express saver is $47 bucks (even if they get a volume discount)

SPY
Old 04-25-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so is there a question here?
Old 04-26-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
LOL-

I guess is there a cheaper way to ship this case back? I'm not sure how newegg can ship this case free if it costs 40 bucks to ship. Even if they get a bulk rate, it still is probably pretty expensive.

Has anyone gotten newegg to pick up the shipping return?

SPY
Old 04-26-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

newegg will on rare occasions offer to send you a credit shipping refund, but I wouldn't count on it for something so large. Besides... I like that they have awesome prices and cheap shipping, so for me to suggest you harass them into refunding your shipping costs just might drive up prices for me.

So what I will tell you is that you might just want to try USPS. You have the box's weight and dimensions, so you can go to www.ups.com www.fedex.com and www.usps.com and they all have price calculators. I would think you could get it shipped for a bit less than 25 - USPS has a shipping option that takes forever to get there that might be cheaper. Then you can order another case and they'll refund you when they receive the damaged one.

What case is it anyway? What's wrong with it? Can't you just fix it yourself or modify the case? If it's a broken Power Supply that came with the case, then I'd just invest in a good one.
Old 04-26-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No I bought a Raidmax case. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...156-135&depa=0

The door on the front is broken. It looks like the plastic piece (in the hinge) is snapped off. Not easily fixable. This is the pic of it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....156-135-05.JPG

SPY
Old 04-26-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same thing happened to me on an alienware case (basically the same thing). You can maybe talk to newegg about sending them the door and having them send you one back. Otherwise, try some plastic glue... or duct tape... or bondo.
Old 04-26-04, 01:36 AM
X
Administrator

Or you might be better off getting warranty repair (or a replacement part) from the manufacturer.

Shipping sucks. I just had to pay $7 to return a $25 wrong item. And it was only 4.5 pounds.
Old 04-26-04, 01:41 AM

How about contacting Raidmax?

http://raidmax.com/contact/index.php

is there some type of warranty? have them replace the door.
Old 04-26-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have never thought of that. I'll try newegg and then raidmax and report back.

Thanks guys.

SPY
Old 04-26-04, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, you guys inspired me and I browsed through some of the user comments on newegg and 2 people complained about a broken door. One did nothing. the other contacted newegg and they just sent him a replacement door. Here's hoping

fingers crossed
Old 04-26-04, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

shipping a door should cost like 4 bucks vs 25 bucks. good luck.
Old 04-26-04, 01:04 PM
Banned

I would try to get the manufacturer to send you the part.

Exactly how did you get Newegg to ship you a case and not charge shipping?
Old 04-26-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That particular case offers free fed ex shipping.
Old 04-26-04, 04:39 PM
Stealth Moderator

icondude, newegg's prices flutuate a lot. They seem to react rather quickly to supply and demand. Sometimes they change the price of the item, sometimes they change the price of shipping.
Old 04-26-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I bought the case last week, it was 49 bucks and free shipping. Now its 61 bucks and free shipping.

Anyway, i called newegg and they wanted me to file a clailm with fedex. I said no, I wanted a new door and she said fine. Should ship in the morning.

Thanks everyone!

SPY