Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about MP3 cds

Old 04-22-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about MP3 cds

I just put a new deck in my car which says it allows me to play mp3 encoded cds. Are they supposed to hold more songs than a regular cd? I don't know which program to use if this is the case, since they all seem to limit me to the same amount of songs as any regular cd I would burn before. What program would make it easiest to do this? I have Nero, but I don't know which setting to do this with.
Old 04-22-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you have to burn a "data" cd with all your mp3 files using NERO. Also you should be able to have as many mp3 files as the disk can hold, i.e., 700MB worth - alot more thatn the 15-20 tracks you can fit on an "audio" cd.
Old 04-22-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When a song is compressed into a 128-bit MP3, it takes up about 1 meg for every minute of music. So, theoretically, you could fit 175 4-minute songs on one 700mb CD.

I use Nero. Encode it as a data cd. It's just like saving files to any other disk.
Old 04-22-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, that's what I was doing wrong. I was worrying that if I burned it as a data CD, that the player wouldn't read it correctly. I was looking for a different option under Audio CD for MP3 CD. Thanks for the help people.
Old 04-23-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Word of advice:

try using rewritable discs if you get bored with songs ... I know that regular cdrs are super cheap nowadays but I have to love my cdrws and loading them up with mp3's and then when I get sick of it or what to change songs I just erase it and start over.

I just hate obsolete cdrs. Something about that just bugs me.

I tend to have my mp3's sorted and categorized on my comp so it's no prob to get nero to burn a data cd and pull from all my folders. Took a long time to convert my cd collection to mp3 on my comp HDD though.

What are you using to rip and encode to mp3 though? EAC and the latest LAME codec works great.
Old 04-23-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Word of advice:

try using rewritable discs if you get bored with songs ... I know that regular cdrs are super cheap nowadays but I have to love my cdrws and loading them up with mp3's and then when I get sick of it or what to change songs I just erase it and start over.

I just hate obsolete cdrs. Something about that just bugs me.

I tend to have my mp3's sorted and categorized on my comp so it's no prob to get nero to burn a data cd and pull from all my folders. Took a long time to convert my cd collection to mp3 on my comp HDD though.

What are you using to rip and encode to mp3 though? EAC and the latest LAME codec works great.
Old 04-23-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bahgee
I think you have to burn a "data" cd with all your mp3 files using NERO. Also you should be able to have as many mp3 files as the disk can hold, i.e., 700MB worth - alot more thatn the 15-20 tracks you can fit on an "audio" cd.
Can you do this with Windows Media player or just Nero?
Old 04-23-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I doubt media player can do it, would need a real cd writing program. the windows cd writing wizard in xp should be able to do it though
Old 04-26-04, 11:12 PM

I use MMJB's BurnerPlus for mine. I have several hundred gigs of MP3s, of which most are 96kbps mp3PRO. I just burn them on CD-R and one in the dash and six in the changer gives me approximately 98 hours of music.
Old 04-27-04, 12:28 AM
Suspended

I've got a MP3 player in my dash and about 9 discs full of 80's music recorded at 128 kbps. Each discs holds about 120 or so songs, depending on the length of course.

I use Musicmatch for burning the CDs - supports all three formats, the audio CD, MP3 audio CD and Data. (for the record, I use the MP3 Audio setting, and have never had any trouble playing anywhere).

You'll love the player - I havent listened to the radio for 2 years now, and one disc will last all week of commuting without a repeat.