Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Behind Router, but even after port forwarding all ports are invisible

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-20-04, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get eMule to work better so was fidgeting with ports. Well, I allow the ports i need to and it's still not going through. So i make my computer DMZ and go online to check if any ports were open. NONE are. I disconnect my router and just tap into my wall and still, no ports are open. I'm pretty damned sure I don't have a firewall (not even windows xp firewall). Any ideas what the hell's going on. I think I have a dynamic IP, but I'm not sure. Also, I live in an apartment complex which provides our high-speed access in the monthly rent. Thanks.
Old 04-20-04, 10:56 AM
Banned

Re: Behind Router, but even after port forwarding all ports are invisible

Originally posted by Smutman769
I'm pretty damned sure I don't have a firewall (not even windows xp firewall).
Make sure, not pretty sure that win xp firewall isn't on.
Old 04-20-04, 01:51 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trying to get eMule to work better so was fidgeting with ports. Well, I allow the ports i need to and it's still not going through. So i make my computer DMZ and go online to check if any ports were open. NONE are. I disconnect my router and just tap into my wall and still, no ports are open. I'm pretty damned sure I don't have a firewall (not even windows xp firewall). Any ideas what the hell's going on. I think I have a dynamic IP, but I'm not sure. Also, I live in an apartment complex which provides our high-speed access in the monthly rent. Thanks.
Do you receive a private IP address from your apartment provider? I.e., one in one of the following three ranges:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
If so, it would seem your aparment provides your access through a NAT router. In this case, you have no control over the port forwarding rules. You will have to ask the administrator of your aparment network to forward the ports you need, which he/she may or may not be willing to do for you.
Old 04-20-04, 04:57 PM

Going to dslreports.com shows it as 66.135.xx.xx, but I don't know if that is true. The hell is going on? I just want decent download speeds on eMule. Only place I can search for any album I want archived into a .rar file with seperate .mp3 tracks. bleh.
Old 04-20-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to Start -> Run -> Type "command", hit enter -> type "ipconfig", hit enter.

What does it say?
Old 04-20-04, 05:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Going to dslreports.com shows it as 66.135.xx.xx, but I don't know if that is true.
Yeah, that's your external IP address. What the rest of the world sees you as. You need to forward ports to your internal IP. Do what Shazam said to get that.
Old 04-20-04, 08:38 PM

I've done that (through my router) and it just isn't working. I feel like a bleeding moron, but I'm sure that I'm doing it right. Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-04, 08:52 PM

Actually, found out that IP I gave is something else (no idea what). Mine is a 10.xx.xx.xx or whatever. Is there anything I can do short of contacting my apartment's ISP to resolve the issue?
Old 04-20-04, 09:35 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Increase your processing power by opening up more sockets.
Old 04-20-04, 09:42 PM

Wha? There's no way for me to use port forwarding if my IP address is a 10.xx.xx.xx?
Old 04-20-04, 09:45 PM

Also, would my internal IP be the one my computer is assigned (the 192.168.0.xx one) or my actual IP address (the 10.xx.xx.xx one)? I'm currently forwarding all the ports I want open to the IP address my computer is assigned.
Old 04-20-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Increase your processing power by opening up more sockets.
You forgot to ask him to watch your baby.
Old 04-20-04, 11:28 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, would my internal IP be the one my computer is assigned (the 192.168.0.xx one) or my actual IP address (the 10.xx.xx.xx one)? I'm currently forwarding all the ports I want open to the IP address my computer is assigned.
Your WAN/external IP (10.X.X.X) is a private class IP. This means you are behind both your own router and an apartment-wide router. The IP you gave first (66.135.xx.xx) is most likely the WAN/external IP of the latter router and is the public IP that the rest of the Internet will see you (and anyone else behind the apartment router) as.

You are in a double-NAT situation and only have control over one of the NAT routers (your own). Unless the admin of your apartment network will help you out by forwarding the ports you need to your external 10.X.X.X address (from there you will use your own router to forward them to your internal 192.168.0.X addresses), you are SOL. Your only other alternative is to get a real ISP.

Last edited by JM; 04-20-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 12:04 PM
Banned

I disconnect my router and just tap into my wall and still, no ports are open.
The key point. If it still does it with the router disconnected, that isn't the problem.

Since you haven't checked if win xp firewall is on or off, I'd check that.

Also, if you go to the website that made your router, it should tell you exactly how to set up port forwarding for emule.(mine did anyway)
Old 04-21-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Behind Router, but even after port forwarding all ports are invisible

It's not his system or router. He is behind another firewall/router run by his apartment complex. He can't change anything on that.

dave
Originally posted by chemosh6969
The key point. If it still does it with the router disconnected, that isn't the problem.

Since you haven't checked if win xp firewall is on or off, I'd check that.

Also, if you go to the website that made your router, it should tell you exactly how to set up port forwarding for emule.(mine did anyway)
Old 04-21-04, 03:55 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Behind Router, but even after port forwarding all ports are invisible

Originally posted by Dave99
It's not his system or router. He is behind another firewall/router run by his apartment complex. He can't change anything on that.

dave
but he isn't sure that the xp firewall is off, he's just pretty sure which means he needs to look at least.
Old 04-21-04, 06:09 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Behind Router, but even after port forwarding all ports are invisible

Originally posted by chemosh6969
but he isn't sure that the xp firewall is off, he's just pretty sure which means he needs to look at least.
It really doesn't matter unless/until he resolves the double-NAT issue first. Again, he is behind two firewalls/NAT routers (his own and the apartment's). In order to accomplish what he wants, the OP has to be able to forward ports on BOTH routers. He doesn't have administrative access to the apartment's router; therefore, he can't do it without assistance from whomever does.
Old 04-23-04, 03:16 AM

Right, and by "pretty sure" i meant I was sure Win XP's firewall was off, but was unsure if some other random program firewall was on.