Reload this Page >

Good, free internet fax service?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-08-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

We bought a house out of state and we are trying to do some remodeling, purchase furniture, etc long distance. Many places want to fax us stuff.

Rather then use Kinko's or something, I thought about using one of those free internet fax services. I guess they send you the stuff as an attachment to e-mail? Does this work well? Does it convert the format to MS Word or a PDF document for printing?

This is mainly drawings for remodeling, prices on furniture, quotes for flooring stuff like that. Nothing so serious like mortgage information or purchasing the house, we have done that already.

Anyone have a favorite they use or suggestion for one? Any real drawbacks to this?
Old 04-08-04, 03:13 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You can use eFax Free to receive fax. You won't get a local number, but it's free. Oh, and they send you "junk mail" about once a week (no, they don't share your e-mail addy with others; the junk mails come from eFax).

[http://www.uReach.com]uReach.com[/url] is another option, but there's a small fee involved. If you upgrade to a $9.99 a month, you get a toll-free number, with which you can (1) receive fax, (2) get voice mail, (3) get calls forwarded, (4) retrieve your e-mail, etc.
Old 04-08-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know eFax Free was still out there - I'll never use them again - I had a free number - not in my area code - just one they assigned me and then all of a sudden, they said I needed to pay for it or lose it. No way I'll ever do business with a company that acts like that.
Old 04-08-04, 03:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

You can also use OneSuite.com. Okay, this one's not free, but it's very cheap.

OneSuite.com is a long distance "calling card" service. Rates are 2.9 cents a minute if you use their toll-free number for access or 2.5 cents a minute if you use a local access number. No tax, no fees. If you use the service from your home, all you need to do is to dial their toll-free number or their local access number, then dial the person you want to call (no need to enter your PIN as they can ID you from your home phone number, even if you have Caller ID Block). International calls are super cheap too.

Anyway, for $1 a month, you can add voice mail and fax service (this service is called MessageOne). You are assigned a number, and people can dial that number to fax you or leave you voice mail. You get the fax as a TIF file on your e-mail.

Anyway, check it out here:
http://www.OneSuite.com

The only drawbacks are: (1) It's a prepaid service. You pay them first, and as you use up the minutes your balance declines. (2) Your balance expires after 6 months of the most recent recharge. So if you don't add more funds for 6 months, then you lose whatever's in your balance. Of course, you can add more to the balance before your 6 month expires, then you're given another 6 months to use the entire balance.

OneSuite.com has been around a long time. I've been using OneSuite.com for over 2 years, and it's been great. I haven't tried the MessageOne (vm/fax) service, but if their long distane service voice service is any indication, then their fax service will also be fantastic. Even though I have a cell phone with free Long Distance, I find OneSuite.com useful for times I'm in areas where the cell phone coverage is poor and for making international calls.
Old 04-08-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Humm. Doesn't sound to promising.

I really don't want to pay for one as I'll probably get a dozen or so faxes over the next 2 months, then won't need it again.

Maybe Kinko's is the way to go.
Old 04-09-04, 03:29 AM
Stealth Moderator

Buy a fax machine. You can get one for $50. If you get more than 50 pages over the next 2 months, then you just paid for your fax machine.

My friend recently bought a condo in the east coast while living in the west coast. This meant having to fax a lot of things back and forth. After spending almost $50 in Kinkos over a two-week period, he bought a fax machine. He saved over $100 by buying a fax machine ... plus he still has the fax machine for future use.
Old 04-09-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by namja
Buy a fax machine. You can get one for $50. If you get more than 50 pages over the next 2 months, then you just paid for your fax machine.

My friend recently bought a condo in the east coast while living in the west coast. This meant having to fax a lot of things back and forth. After spending almost $50 in Kinkos over a two-week period, he bought a fax machine. He saved over $100 by buying a fax machine ... plus he still has the fax machine for future use.
Yea, I thought of that, but doesn't whoever is going to fax something have to call him 1st so that he can hook up the fax? Or did he have 2 phone lines (which would cost even more then the fax machine in some cases). Or can you use some sort of splitter that detects if it is voice or data?

I'm in and out a lot and didn't want to have to be at home when someone wanted to fax something.

If there is a way to make this work, it would be good. My bro-in-law has a fax machine he can let us use for free. But again would I have to know before hand if a fax was coming?
Old 04-09-04, 11:32 AM
Stealth Moderator

Sdallnct, you crack me up. Guess you never had a fax machine?

Just about all fax machines these days have automatic switches so that you can conveniently receive phone and fax on the same line. It can be a little bit of a pain if you have a separate answering machine (some fax machines don't handle this well), but you can solve this problem by getting a fax machine with a built-in answering machine, like the Canon B45 Fax/Phone Machine. When the phone rings, after x number of rings the answering machine will pick up. If it's people calling to talk to you, then they can leave you messages; if it's an incoming fax, then the machine will automatically switch to fax and print the fax. If you're home and you pick up the phone and it's a fax, all you have to do is go to the fax machine, pick up that handset, then hit the start button.

This is how most fax machines work.

Yeah, the Canon listed above is $100, but maybe you can find a coupon for an office supply store and bring the price down.
Old 04-09-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by namja
Sdallnct, you crack me up. Guess you never had a fax machine?

Just about all fax machines these days have automatic switches so that you can conveniently receive phone and fax on the same line. It can be a little bit of a pain if you have a separate answering machine (some fax machines don't handle this well), but you can solve this problem by getting a fax machine with a built-in answering machine, like the Canon B45 Fax/Phone Machine. When the phone rings, after x number of rings the answering machine will pick up. If it's people calling to talk to you, then they can leave you messages; if it's an incoming fax, then the machine will automatically switch to fax and print the fax. If you're home and you pick up the phone and it's a fax, all you have to do is go to the fax machine, pick up that handset, then hit the start button.

This is how most fax machines work.

Yeah, the Canon listed above is $100, but maybe you can find a coupon for an office supply store and bring the price down.
Geeze and I was just feeling so good about myself as I installed CR-R/RW's in each of my kids computers. Guess I'm not the geek I thought I was

The fax machine that I can use is a Sharp UX114. It looks like it is an older unit, but it does look like it has a built in answering machine (bro-in-law brought it over). We normally use the voice mail provided by the phone company.

Will set it up and play with it.

Thanks for the advise and the fax lesson!
Old 04-09-04, 06:16 PM

I use jfax to receive - signed up like about 3 years ago and although I almost never use it, the account is still active and works. For the free account, they give you some number by Sacramento, CA.
Old 04-11-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i keep receiving junk faxes and it's wasting toner and paper, is there a way i could prevent the junk faxes from comming or stop it? the junk faxes does not contain the sender number or anything.