Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Google To Launch GMail (1GB Mailbox)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google To Launch GMail (1GB Mailbox)

Old 03-31-04, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google Launches GMail...april fools?

Found this press release published by BUSINESS WIRE, shown on Yahoo!, and picked up by the DRUDGE REPORT...

For real or not???

Press Release Source: Google Inc.

Google Gets the Message, Launches Gmail
Wednesday March 31, 7:05 pm ET
User Complaint About Existing Services Leads Google to Create Search-Based Webmail
Search is Number Two Online Activity -- Email is Number One; "Heck, Yeah," Say Google Founders

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 31, 2004-- Amidst rampant media speculation, Google Inc. today announced it is testing a preview release of Gmail -- a free search-based webmail service with a storage capacity of up to eight billion bits of information, the equivalent of 500,000 pages of email. Per user.
The inspiration for Gmail came from a Google user complaining about the poor quality of existing email services, recalled Larry Page, Google co-founder and president, Products. "She kvetched about spending all her time filing messages or trying to find them," Page said. "And when she's not doing that, she has to delete email like crazy to stay under the obligatory four megabyte limit. So she asked, 'Can't you people fix this?'"

Continue at http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040331/315958_1.html
Old 03-31-04, 08:36 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
According to CNET, they're going to offer 1 GB of free space for e-mail:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5182805.html

Old 03-31-04, 08:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
And they'll make it searchable by everyone?
Old 03-31-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been rumored for a while that they would offer free e-mail, but I don't think anyone ever thought it'd be a gig of storage.

The idea is quite logical for google and their adwords - they can easily tailor the adwords to your messages which are already targeted at you (unless they're spam).

Maybe I should hit up Kevin Fox over at fury.com to see if I can be one of the 1,000
Old 03-31-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just noticed the report on CNET is timestamped 3:57PM PST - which is 11:57 GMT, so they might have just made the announcement a few minutes before April 1 on GMT time.

Posted on Yahoo at 7:05 PM EST or 12:05 AM GMT (April 1).
Old 03-31-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WSJ even picked up the story (via AP)

Old 03-31-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://gmail.google.com/

Looks real to me...
Old 03-31-04, 10:37 PM

I'll note that when I first went to the website before posting this message, that picture was not up and it was a business services google site or something like that
Old 03-31-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone can put up a subdomain and a holding page. But it does seem somewhat legit - just don't know about the one gig of storage. I know it's cheap now, but...managing that much storage is insane - backups, etc. Though I doubt anyone would ever get close to a gig, depends on the attachment sizes of course. If you let someone upload a 200 MB attachment, they could then just give out their login on all the pr0n sites...
Old 03-31-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think this is a joke. Mainly because it's not that funny and if Google were really doing an April Fool's thing, it'd be much more clever than this.

The 1GB limit isn't unrealistic. It only seems like a lot if you actually assume that people will be using it all. Most people aren't even going to come close. As long as they have pretty good controls to prevent abuse, it's very doable.
Old 03-31-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah - as long as they don't allow attachments, or limit the number of storable attachments to, say, 10 megs, then no one would ever even come close to reaching a gig.

It still sounds legit, but that one gig number is just insane...nice little gimmick.
Old 04-01-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by belboz
I don't think this is a joke. Mainly because it's not that funny and if Google were really doing an April Fool's thing, it'd be much more clever than this.
They have their April Fool's joke (not to say they couldn't have two)

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html
Old 04-01-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the NEW YORK TIMES:

The standard industry practice is to offer tiered mail services, providing only limited storage for free and charging higher fees to users who want to preserve larger numbers of e-mail messages. Google, by contrast, is planning a service to be supported by advertising that will permit its users to store very large amounts of mail at no cost.

One internal Google study put the operational cost of maintaining electronic mail storage at less than $2 per gigabyte.
Old 04-01-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really can't see the NYT printing something that is factually inaccurate.
Old 04-01-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I really can't see the NYT printing something that is factually inaccurate.
Old 04-01-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They also mentioned it on 1010 WINS here in NY (supposedly the most listened to news(?) radio station in the U.S.).
Old 04-01-04, 10:57 AM

Currently on gmail.google.com, there is some more content about their plans. I signed up for the updated information via email. You never know...
Old 04-01-04, 12:26 PM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../google_e_mail

Google to Offer Users Free E-Mail Service

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE, AP Business Writer

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Google Inc. is introducing a free e-mail service to send a blunt message the maker of the world's most popular online search engine is pulling off the gloves in its clash with high-tech heavyweights Yahoo! Inc (NasdaqNM:YHOO - news). and Microsoft Inc.

The company unleashed the latest blow in a fierce fight for Web supremacy late Wednesday by promising to deliver 250 to 500 times more storage space than the market-leading e-mail services provided by Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail.

But there's a catch to the e-mail. Hoping to turn a profit from the service dubbed Gmail privately held Google has programmed its computers to dissect the topics being discussed in the e-mails and then deliver text-based ads related to the subjects.

For instance, an e-mail from one friend to another discussing an upcoming concert might prompt Google to include an advertising link from a ticketing agency.

"I don't think (the ads) will be annoying at all," Google co-founder Larry Page said during an interview Wednesday. "We think this will give us a business model that will work and allow us to provide a high-quality service."

Page said Gmail shouldn't raise serious privacy concerns because Google plans to closely guard the content of the e-mail messages. Ads are unlikely to accompany most e-mails, he said.

Gmail will offer 1 gigabyte of storage space, roughly 500,000 pages of e-mail. Gmail users will be able to receive up to 10 megabytes in a single e-mail more than the free services of Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail allow to be stored in an entire mailbox.

Yahoo offers up to 4 megabytes of free e-mail storage while Hotmail provides 2 megabytes of free storage. Both services charge for additional space.

Gmail also will enable its users to type a keyword into a built-in search box to find information contained in their e-mailboxes within a matter of seconds.

For now, Mountain View, Calif.-based Google is only opening up the service to invited users but expects to make it accessible to everyone within a few weeks, Page said. People interested in signing up for an e-mail account are being encouraged to register at www.gmail.com.

Google's e-mail expansion is likely to escalate its mounting competition with Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Yahoo and Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft.

While those two giants have been revving up their own search technology, Google has recently unveiled a series of improvements to protect its turf.

By offering e-mail, Google is now invading a space dominated by Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail.

Yahoo has 52.6 million unique users per month in the United States, according to a February survey by online research firm comScore Media Metrix. Hotmail is next, with 45.4 million users. AOL has 40.2 million users, but they pay monthly subscriptions.

Officials at Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail division declined to comment on Google's entry into the new category.

Google had been testing its e-mail service for about a year internally before deciding to offer it to the general public.

"We think e-mail is one of those things that is not as useful and as well organized as it should be," Page said. "People have been asking us to do this for a long time."
Old 04-01-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google says "Gmail" is no joke, but lunar jobs are
Reuters, 04.01.04, 1:36 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO, April 1 (Reuters) - It's not like Internet search service Google can't laugh at itself, but when an April Fool's joke got out of hand on Thursday, a real business plan was rumored to be a Web hoax -- and that was no laughing matter.

Privately held Google Inc. had Web message boards buzzing on Thursday over whether a new e-mail product, announced on Wednesday and meant to challenge Yahoo Inc. (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people) and Microsoft Corp (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people), was actually an April Fool's joke.

Google's announcement was questioned because of the U.S. No. 1 search service's unconventional sub-heading on a press release and because it also posted a fictional job listing seeking engineers for a "Google Copernicus Hosting Environment and Experiment in Search Engineering (GCHEESE)" lunar outpost.

Google's free e-mail service called Gmail, which will offer significantly more storage than Yahoo or MSN, "is not a hoax," said Jonathan Rosenberg, Google's vice president of products.

Google's unconventional March 31 press release announcing Gmail helped set Internet message boards alight because the sub-heading read: "Search is Number Two Online Activity -- Email is Number One: 'Heck, Yeah,' Say Google Founders."

"It is April Fool's Day. We were having fun with this announcement. We are very serious about Gmail," Rosenberg said in an interview.

Still, the Web was buzzing with speculation.

"It's going to go down in history as one of the biggest pranks ever pulled," wrote one message poster at Slashdot.org, which bills itself as a news provider for nerds.

That view was countered by others who noted the relatively low cost of storage and Google's registration of Gmail.com.

"The real joke was an advertisement for a job opening in 2007 at their lunar facility," another Slashdot poster wrote.

That recruiting ad -- which can be viewed by clicking on the Google.com link "Want a job that's out of this world?" -- details the benefits of working at Google's "Googlunaplex" location on the moon.

"The notion that we're actually opening a lunar office is consistent with the spirit of April Fool's Day, and, yes, it is a joke," Rosenberg said of the ad, posted around midnight Greenwich Mean Time on Thursday.

In fact, Google's informational site about Gmail, at www.gmail.com, was up and running Thursday during a test period with a small group of users.

According to Whois.net, an online service for researching domain name registration, Gmail.com does belong to Google.

Copyright 2004, Reuters News Service

Last edited by Brain Stew; 04-01-04 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 06:33 PM
Suspended

I'm sorry, but if for anyone who has a college degree and actually believes this is real, you have to send your degree back.

It's April 1st people, it's a big freaking joke!!! If they give out 1GB spam storage, imagine the number of 100MB video spams you'll get each and everyday. As if the billions of 10kb spams aren't slowing the net down enough, this 1GB gmail thing will just bring everything to a halt.

And I thought Bush being elected as the next US president was a joke until I realize it wasn't April 1st.
Old 04-01-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is a joke, they are riding it for all its worth....

There are no strong specifics at this phase of development. They say that there is a 1GB email limit, but it doesn't say anything about attachment limits. They could limit attachments to 5mb or something comparable to POP3 accounts offered by ISPs.
Old 04-01-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No documentation, but I thought I read (mebbe on /.) that there was a 10MB limit on attachments...
Old 04-01-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheDude
No documentation, but I thought I read (mebbe on /.) that there was a 10MB limit on attachments...
That's still a pretty normal limit. I think most Exchange servers are set to 6MB.
Old 04-01-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I read about the 10 meg attachment limit. I'm still on the side of this is a huge joke. Tomorrow they will show all the news organizations that fell for their joke.
Old 04-02-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Folks, I think this is real. And if it is, has anyone else also thought of the potential for something else? THE ELIMINATION OF SPAM. How?

Think of it - if they actually do this, virtually EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the planet with internet access and who has heard of Google, will sign up. If that happens, they can simply block ALL incoming mail from other domains (unless you specify otherwise), other than registered businesses. Then permit only e-mails from other GMail users. Their e-mail servers can be used to detect if e-mails are being sent from one address at too high a rate or with too much regularity, and then stop that account from sending anymore e-mails. It would be the PERFECT e-mail system.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.