DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   help! need info on mini disc players (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/354801-help-need-info-mini-disc-players.html)

snoopydoggy2002 03-25-04 07:19 AM

help!

i am thinking of returning my mp3 player which is an Archos Gmini 120 20GB MP3 Jukebox. In return i would get a mini disc player and a game boy advance sp. i dont know much about mini discs so could you please give me info on them. also could you tell me what you would do thanks.

Chew 03-25-04 08:55 AM

You may get more responses with a more descriptive title. :)

Here's a place to find some info: http://www.minidisc.org/index.html

Jepthah 03-25-04 11:43 AM

WAIT for the new generation of Hi-MD recorders which will debut in the next few months.

The above link talks about them in detail. They will make current players look pretty limited in comparison...1 GB on a disc, to begin with, and there are tons more features.

Chew 03-25-04 11:45 AM

Thanks mods for the title change. :D

Michael Corvin 03-25-04 01:56 PM

Two things on the current Net MDs:

1. (positive) They are 5 times faster than the originals. I have an original (They record in real time. i.e. you want a 5 hour disc, it will take 5 hours to record). Net MDs will do this in a fraction of the time.

2. (negative) You have to use proprietary software to put your songs to disc (last time I checked anyway). Software is Windows compatible only. As a mac user this is a big negative. That is why I still have the original. It takes longer to record, but I set it up overnight and it is no big deal.

Ranger 03-25-04 05:12 PM

Wow. I was about to start a thread on this soon.

I have been wanting to get a MD player for a while - maybe this summer. I know not to get the 410 model, I'm trying to decide between the 510 or the MZ-S1, both have a power adapter. The latter costs a bit more but has a backlight. The 510 is about 100 and I saw the second one for 110 at circuit but it is on clearance.

Yes, they are releasing a new series of MD players but I do not know when. I hear that 1GB MD can hold 45 CDs with sony's compression format. PLUS their new software would allow unlimited check in check outs.

But I was thinking about maybe waiting a bit longer for the prices on the MZ-S1 to drop a bit more and in a year or two get on the 1GB players. And have two players. I'm not sure, but I expect the new 1GB MD players to be backward compatible as being able to play the smaller sized MDs like the 80min 500MB MD.

Also, I have read that you can use RealOne player (yes, I know some of you are already shrieking at me) to burn the MDs. I was probably going this route, but is there a guide or something, I was curious about how that process worked.

One last thing, is there a restriction on how long a song can be on a MD? I think it is about 20 minutes, but I have some mp3s that are about an hour long (radio shows, etc).

zuffy 03-25-04 06:52 PM

You know what suck? If I get a Hi-MD player, my new MDs will not be compatible with the MD reciever in my car :(

RoQuEr 03-26-04 12:55 AM

I don't think there is a maximum length. When I used to record stuff thru analog, it would record one whole CD as one track, then I would have to manually split them. That was a long time ago though. Also, there was a limit of 255 track divisions per disk, but that may also have been bypassed by now.

Michael Corvin 03-26-04 11:15 AM

^^ I've had to do that on occasion. It depends on what software you use and how it plays music. If the MD player senses a pause between songs it will insert a track mark. If your music player ends one song and flows right into the next there won't be a track mark.

Another + for NetMD is ID3 tags are supposedly transferred over. No more manual naming tracks.

Ranger, from what I read a standard disc can be formatted to hold 300MB of songs.

Ranger 03-27-04 03:12 PM

I read that the new HI-MD PLAYERS are expected to be in stores in April and will be priced from $200-400.

Michael Corvin 03-27-04 10:59 PM

^^ their pricing is still wack to me. I can get a 30gig iPod for that much and not have to carry around 30 discs. I can use whatever quality MP3 I want, not some proprietary format.

darkside 03-27-04 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
^^ their pricing is still wack to me. I can get a 30gig iPod for that much and not have to carry around 30 discs. I can use whatever quality MP3 I want, not some proprietary format.
The ipods are cool, but not for everyone. They are no good for using during jogging or bike riding without risking damage to the unit. The big advantage of the MD player for me is being able to record straight from any audio source. The ipod doesn't have a radio tuner either and I like that feature on my MD player. Not to mention my MD player has 5 times the battery life of my old ipod with only a single AA battery.

I'm not 100% sure I'm getting a Hi-MD player. I would have to replace my MD deck and I doubt there will be any HD-MD decks released in the US.

As far as Sony's proprietery format goes. Its much better at compressing music than MP3. The SP mode in the current players in almost identical to the original CD. Even at 256kbps on a MP3 I can hear compression artifacts.

Exzavier00 03-28-04 01:48 PM

Re: help!

Originally posted by snoopydoggy2002
i am thinking of returning my mp3 player which is an Archos Gmini 120 20GB MP3 Jukebox. In return i would get a mini disc player and a game boy advance sp. i dont know much about mini discs so could you please give me info on them. also could you tell me what you would do thanks.
Why do you want to take back the Archos Gmini 120 ?
I was thinking of getting one because it also Stores
pictures off a CF card and is alot cheeper then an Ipod.

Ranger 03-28-04 08:44 PM

Originally posted by darkside
The ipods are cool, but not for everyone. They are no good for using during jogging or bike riding without risking damage to the unit. The big advantage of the MD player for me is being able to record straight from any audio source. The ipod doesn't have a radio tuner either and I like that feature on my MD player. Not to mention my MD player has 5 times the battery life of my old ipod with only a single AA battery.

I'm not 100% sure I'm getting a Hi-MD player. I would have to replace my MD deck and I doubt there will be any HD-MD decks released in the US.

As far as Sony's proprietery format goes. Its much better at compressing music than MP3. The SP mode in the current players in almost identical to the original CD. Even at 256kbps on a MP3 I can hear compression artifacts.

I think they are releasing Hi-MD decks in Japan though.

I'm a bit turned off with the pricing of the HI-MD players too. If it started at 150, I'd consider it. Come to think of it, I only have about 60 CDs and 4GB worth of mp3s. So I may end up getting a mp3 CD player to be more flexible and since I don't take any kind of music players when I work out - just paranoid about losing them.

RoQuEr 03-28-04 10:52 PM

MD has always been expensive. This thread has made me pull out my Sharp MD-S701 for the first time in years. The Li-on battery is dead, but otherwise it still works. Man is it weird listening to mix tapes I made 5 or 6 years ago.

BTW, does any MD currently have a digital output?

Jepthah 03-29-04 01:36 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr

BTW, does any MD currently have a digital output?

Technically, the HI-MD units will as they will be able to digitally upload to the computer.

As far as the price complaints, Sony is releasing a wide variety of models that start at below-$200 I believe...the more expensive ones are more feature-laden.

jack999 07-21-04 05:09 PM

I know not to get the 410 model
Ranger, what is wrong with that model. I was in Sam's today and they have the MZ-NE410 for $70. That includes and armband and 5 discs, plus earphones.

I know there are newer models coming out, but I don't have to have the latest and greatest, just something that I can jog with and holds a bunch of songs.

Would the this model be good for jogging?

Ranger 07-21-04 05:29 PM

Mainly because the 410 doesn't have an AC outlet so you'd be depending on batteries alone. But I guess if you have rechargeables you should be fine with it. I'd get the mz-s1, got mine from CircuitCity for $90 online. It's a bit bigger but seems more tougher and includes an AC power adapter. But $70 for the 410 isn't bad.

This is a newer thread. I got my MD player in April so my views have changed a bit from this thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=minidisc

jack999 07-21-04 06:17 PM

I notice this model has a hand strap. Do you jog with it in your hand while pumping your harms in a normal running motion? And does it still not skip?

Ranger 07-21-04 07:58 PM

minidiscs don't really skip at all unlike some CD players.

I don't really use it while running - too much distraction. Do use it for hiking and road trips. I don't think the hand strap is really necessary because the size and design already makes it easy to hold.

Jepthah 07-21-04 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Angell
I notice this model has a hand strap. Do you jog with it in your hand while pumping your harms in a normal running motion? And does it still not skip?
An armband of appropriate size is good for that.

My model came out in '99 and it already took vigorous shaking to make it skip, so I doubt any of the newer ones do.

darkside 07-21-04 08:40 PM

I've never been able to make my minidisc player skip. I ended up getting another ipod, but I keep the MD player for outdoor use.