Reload this Page >

Help me replace my Sony DSC-S85 digital Camera

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-10-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, Ive had my Sony DSC-S85 Link to pic and its been good to me for the past year but there is something that I am starting to really hate about it and its bugging me to thet point where I need to replace it.

The problem, is when you review your last taken pic or switch to the pic view mode, on every pic you have to wait about 3-4 secs for the pic to come into focus before you can see how good or bad it really looks. Im getting really sick of saying "hit that button to see your pic....oh, wait a few seconds for it to come into focus."

I really like Sony products, but this is something I havent seen on ANY other digital camera from any brand. If its just this model then ill stick with Sony, but if its every Sony cam then i need something else...

For anyone who has a Sony Camera...does this do this to yours?

So what would you recoomend? I would like something that is at least 4Mega Pix and has a nice viewing screen...I like the lens on the Sony too..
Old 03-10-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone?
Old 03-10-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what you'll find is that many of the 4MP+ cameras are either going to do that or going to have long load-up times for each picture you want to review.

The problem is the file sizes are getting bigger, and the camera can't pull the data off of the memory stick/card fast enough. The particular "problem" you are talking about is an attempt to quicken up the process of reviewing/deleting photos you don't like. That is, you don't have to wait for the picture to load up completely if you can already tell the picture is overexposed, underexposed, etc.

I know the later Sony models do this (717, 828, V-1, etc.), and I believe Canon does this as well in the A80. As far as other cameras, you'll have to go play with them and see for yourself. If you do find one, though, I think you'll have to put up with longer load up times for each picture you want to review.
Old 03-10-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks quietsoul...come to think of it, the cameras I have seen that dont do that are below 4mgs..I just didnt occur to me that that could be the reason...hmm, good to know. I know my brothers doesnt do that, but he has a 3mg camera, so perhaps its something that happens at around 4mg and above..
Old 03-10-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Canon 10D does the same. Not as bad as my Sony 717 but nevertheless, there is still a delay.

If you like Sony, then the Sony V1 would fit your need. Smaller than your S85 and offer great picture quality.
Old 03-10-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My S45 has virtually no delay between when I shoot the picture and when I can view it.

Id' say most recent digital cameras are like this.
Old 03-11-04, 03:56 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Shazam
My S45 has virtually no delay between when I shoot the picture and when I can view it.

Id' say most recent digital cameras are like this.
DigitalDuck isn't talking about the delay between shooting and viewing (the "review" function), but the time between viewing successive pictures during playback mode.

On your S45, switch to playback mode. View one picture after another. You will not be able to view pictures immediately. The green light next to the optical rangefinder will blink a couple of times then the screen will change. That is the delay in question.

Canon = takes a moment to load the picture in the background then shows the fully focused picture.
Sony = picture shows immediately but takes a moment to focus.

DigitalDuck, is it really 3-4 seconds? You sure it's not like 1-2 seconds but it just feels like 3-4 seconds?
Old 03-11-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Namja..I literally counted with my watch and it was exactly 4 seconds on each pic...I have a 128 mg stick (not that that should matter) 4 seconds is just too long, anyone else with a DSC-S85 having this long of a delay?

Just a sidebar..it takes the same time to review a pic once its been taken... hit review and 4 secodns later you get the fucosed pic..you can see the pic right away, but its really out of focus
Old 03-11-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On your S45, switch to playback mode. View one picture after another. You will not be able to view pictures immediately. The green light next to the optical rangefinder will blink a couple of times then the screen will change. That is the delay in question.
Ah. This is also very quick on my S45. It's extremely quick when going through jpegs (< 0.5sec), only marginally slower when going through raw pics (
Old 03-11-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigitalDuck
Namja..I literally counted with my watch and it was exactly 4 seconds on each pic...I have a 128 mg stick (not that that should matter) 4 seconds is just too long, anyone else with a DSC-S85 having this long of a delay?

Just a sidebar..it takes the same time to review a pic once its been taken... hit review and 4 secodns later you get the fucosed pic..you can see the pic right away, but its really out of focus
I have the DSC-S85 and it takes less than one second to come into focus. If it matters, I have a 16 MB stick.
Old 03-11-04, 11:02 PM

I have an S75 - 3MP - and it takes a few seconds to come into focus as well. I just timed it and 4 seconds is my approximate delay also...

I'm really happy with the camera, so I personally wouldn't replace the camera because of it, but I can see how it could be annoying. I guess I've just gotten used to it.
Old 03-11-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would probably recommend the new Canon S1 IS ... but since you like Sony's and have the mem stick media already ... then the Sony DSC-V1 reviewed at dpreview.com is the one to look at first off.

You should be able to get a pretty good discount too nowadays. Great cam by all accounts.

Check out the other Sony's as well. Also check out dcresource.com
for more digicam reviews.
Old 03-12-04, 01:19 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by eatntae
I have the DSC-S85 and it takes less than one second to come into focus. If it matters, I have a 16 MB stick.
It could very well be the media. Not necessary the size of the media but the quality of the media, as some read faster than others.

Or maybe you just need to format the Memory Stick.

Or maybe something is wrong with your camera.

Anyway, Sony now has the Memory Stick Pro which is supposed to be a lot faster than the regular Memory Stick ...
Old 03-12-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Memory Stick Pro and it's not any faster when it comes to reviewing the pics.

I think you're count 3-4 seconds too fast. How about trying to time it with a real clock?
Old 03-12-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My brother has the Sony DSC-V1 and it's a great camera (goota love that built-in night vision!).

I have the Canon G5 and even at the highest resolution the pictures come up in focus instantly in replay mode.