Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

triple boot with 98, XP, and Linux?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-09-04, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 98 on my D drive and XP on C and I was thinking of allocating some free space into a new partition and installing Redhat 9 onto it, but then I have no idea if I would still be able to boot to 98 and XP. Can I just install Linux straight onto the new partition and let it's boot manager configure things, or do I have to do some tweaking?
Old 03-10-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its tricky if you want to use XP's bootloader... its easy if you don't mind using redhats bootloader...

Once you create space on your C using some non-distructive partitioning program like partition magic just run the redhat installer to install on that portion of the drive... red had will have to further partition it for the swap drive.

When you get to the part asking about LILO tell it you want it in the MBR and not at the top of the linux partition... I don't know much about redhat but it should detect your other OSes and automatically both...

I think what it may do is just add an option called "microsoft windows" or something and once you select that your NT bootloader will show up and then from there you can pick from XP or 98...

if you want to use NT's loader let me know and i can tell you how to do it but its a little tricky....

You also have the option of making a bootfloppy so you only go to linux if you boot up with that floppy in the drive.

Blah just contact me if you have any other questions i have rambled enough.
Old 03-10-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts
Either LILO or Grub should be able to handle that task easily.

Is this your first venture into Linux world? If so, I advise you to pick up a 2nd PC on the cheap and install it on that instead.

There is nothing dangerous about dual-booting (or in this case triple), but you are more likely to use it if it is on its own system and you don't have to restart a system everytime you want to switch OSes.
Old 03-10-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the only thing dangerous is messing with the partitions... anything you do with MBR can be restorted fairly easy
Old 03-10-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a removeable hard drive bay for my desktop. Every time I want to run Linux I just shut down my machine pop out the XP hard drive and pop in the Linux hard drive. Easy peasey lemon squeezy!