Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ripping collection onto PC, best way to backup?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-27-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I'm most of the way through putting a couple hundred of my CD's onto my hard drive via MP3 format.

Now, I've only got one hard drive and it's not partitioned or anything so everything is on it (winxp), I'm now kinda paranoid as to what would happen if something happened to the hard drive.

How do all of you backup your backups in this case?

Yes, I'll have most of the original CD's, but I do intend on trading a bunch in to get more newer ones.

Suggestions?
Old 02-27-04, 10:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Glossing over the legal and moral choices involved in your retaining the MP3s when you sell the CDs...

Back them up onto another hard drive.
Old 02-27-04, 10:40 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Burn them to cd as mp3s.
Old 02-27-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Glossing over the legal and moral choices involved in your retaining the MP3s when you sell the CDs...

Back them up onto another hard drive.
why would there be legal issues if I purchased CD's, and kept MP3's then sold the original.

I would have obtained them in complete legality, then making copies for my own use with no intent on distribution.

would you suggest an internal or external drive for that purpose?
Old 02-27-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you sell the original, you are supposed to destroy the copies you made; you no longer have the right to a copy of something you willingly gave up. That said, I wouldn't worry about it. If you somehow got caught (very unlikely), you could say that you lost the original, or it got stolen, broken, etc, and you are using the copy that you legally made as backup.

BTW, I am doing roughly the same thing as you, but I am ripping to FLAC (lossless), and am putting them on 1 or 2 external hard drives.
Old 02-27-04, 11:30 PM

Oh, and I'd use an external HD, so you can just plug it in when you need it, and unplug it when you don't. That way, in case something bad happens (virus, hacker, or whatever), it should be safe.
Old 02-27-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I burn to cd, mostly because I don't have an external hard drive, partly because I have an mp3 cd player
Old 02-28-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm planning on burning mine onto DVD. I've done CDs in the past, but it takes up so many discs. With DVD I could cut that number down significantly.
Old 02-28-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDD/Optical enclosures are pretty cheap nowadays ... and you can pick up a large capacity HDD for peanuts, slap it in the enclosure, hook it up to your usb/usb2.0/firewire on your comp and backup away whatever you need.

Great for drive imaging too for emergency purposes.

A good quality ADS enclosure is ~ 50 bucks maybe. Less on promo/special/coupon/sale and is a great tool.

If you have a dvd burner then you could do that. Burners are cheap now ... especially since dual layer is coming out.
Old 02-28-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
HDD/Optical enclosures are pretty cheap nowadays ... and you can pick up a large capacity HDD for peanuts, slap it in the enclosure, hook it up to your usb/usb2.0/firewire on your comp and backup away whatever you need.

Great for drive imaging too for emergency purposes.

A good quality ADS enclosure is ~ 50 bucks maybe. Less on promo/special/coupon/sale and is a great tool.

If you have a dvd burner then you could do that. Burners are cheap now ... especially since dual layer is coming out.
could you provide a link for me to one of these devices, i'm not certain as to what exactly they are, but it sounds very promising.
Old 02-28-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this is what he's talking about

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-030&depa=0

(or any on this page
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ve%2Cenclosure )
Old 02-28-04, 09:41 AM

In short, it is just a box that you put a regular internal hard drive, cd drive, dvd burner, etc, into, and can then use it as an external device via usb or firewire.
Old 02-28-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
I burn to cd, mostly because I don't have an external hard drive, partly because I have an mp3 cd player
I'm doing the same as I have walkman, PC (winamp), and car MP3 players. Works really well too. In my 32 slot CD wallet, I can carry around over 20 gigs of music. That's more than enough for even my longest vacation.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-28-04 at 03:03 PM.