DVD Talk Hero

Windows XP "Reloaded"

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5165...?tag=nefd_lede

===================================================
Microsoft considering update dubbed 'XP Reloaded'
Last modified: February 26, 2004, 12:55 PM PST
By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft is considering updating Windows XP before it releases Longhorn, a major overhaul of the industry's dominant operating system that is not expected for about two years.

Issuing an update to XP would represent a significant shift for the software maker, which for months has insisted that it had no plans to create a separate version of Windows before Longhorn. A company executive confirmed to CNET News.com on Thursday that Microsoft is now discussing a product internally referred to as "Windows XP Reloaded."

Any further release would follow Windows XP Service Pack 2, a security-oriented upgrade that is slated to arrive before midyear. The features that would be included in an update are still under discussion, Windows lead product manager Greg Sullivan said in an interview.

"Calling it an interim release is overstating the current plan," Sullivan said. "We are exploring ways to add value to Windows XP."

However, Directions on Microsoft analyst Rob Helm said that any new version of Windows is likely to slow Longhorn's arrival.

"There's one Windows team and there's one core group of people (developing it)," Helm said. "If they do plan an interim release, it will have an impact on the schedule. How much will depend on what's in it."

Helm said that Windows XP Reloaded sounds like what he would term an interim release. "To my mind, a service pack with features that has the potential to impact compatibility is an interim release."

Helm did say that one option available to Microsoft is to try and boost some of the surrounding programs that are bundled with Windows while making fewer changes to the core OS. Such a "feature pack" could mean less of a delay.

In addition to adding further question to the already uncertain timing of Longhorn, Helm said Microsoft's constantly changing release schedule makes it harder for customers to plan.

"In the consumer market it's less important, but in the enterprise market, it's really important for Microsoft to provide a roadmap--and not just of major big-bang releases, but also of service packs. Right now that road map is still pretty hazy."

Executives have said for some time that there was no major release of Windows planned before Longhorn. At the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in May, Senior Vice President Will Poole said: "Don't expect an interim release."

Poole said at that time that Longhorn would ship in 2005. Microsoft later backed away from that date, saying only that it would ship when it is ready. However, until now, Microsoft has reiterated that no new versions of Windows were planned before Longhorn.

Microsoft had been planning to update to its two specialized versions of Windows--Media Center and Tablet PC--before Longhorn. Those updates, which are now in testing, will include service pack security enhancements and new features.
Delaying Longhorn could further benefit Linux, considered the chief threat to the dominance of Windows, said RedMonk analyst Stephen O'Grady.

"With any delay of Longhorn, Linux desktop advocates have potentially gained an extension to the window for getting their respective offerings established within enterprises," O'Grady said. Already, analysts had cautioned that the long time frame between Windows XP's debut and the arrival of Longhorn represented perhaps the best opportunity for Linux to make headway on the desktop.

"While Longhorn's promise of an overhauled user interface and database/file system blend will undoubtedly set the bar for desktops when it's ultimately released, the longer it's delayed the more time Linux has to get a foothold in the desktop market."

The release of Longhorn is seen as critical for Microsoft, with the company having tied new versions of Office and much of its server software to coincide with the new OS, which Chairman Bill Gates has called the biggest advance since Windows 95.

Sullivan said that the possible release of XP Reloaded does not indicate a delay for Longhorn. Microsoft has not said when that OS will ship, but analysts have said they expect it in late 2005 or 2006.

It is too soon to say if any development resources will be needed for XP Reloaded beyond the current teams working on Windows XP maintenance, he added.

The move comes as Microsoft is looking for ways to ensure that existing Windows XP users upgrade to the more secure Service Pack 2 code base.

"We're very interested in having as many people as possible--new PC buyers and installed base--take advantage of the work we've done in SP 2."
===================================================
Old 02-26-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that they need to keep the reloaded title when and if they release this.
Old 02-26-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Arden
I think that they need to keep the reloaded title when and if they release this.
I think they should call it "XP2: Windows Harder."

- David Stein
Old 02-26-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just don't name it "XP: Revolution"
Old 02-26-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
WB should sure them if they do
Old 02-27-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I read this on /. I wanted to leave a comment along the lines of "I'm waiting for XP: Revolutions!" but I wasn't fast enough. And I'm just noticing zuffy's comment, so I'm not faster enough here, either. Damn!
Old 02-27-04, 08:16 AM

So are we going to have to buy this or is it going to be a free download?
Old 02-27-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So is this Longhorn I keep hearing about a completely new OS? I hope so. They need to scrap windows and start over. Finacially, I'm sure it has been a good run, but quality wise?
Old 02-27-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
So are we going to have to buy this or is it going to be a free download?
Of course you'll have to buy it. However, this will probably be very similar to their Windows 98 SE deal, where we could get an upgrade disc for like $20.

You know what's awesome about this announcement? They don't announce any features, or changes, or any reason why anyone would need an upgrade. They just decided that they want to offer an upgrade.

- David Stein
Old 02-27-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
You know what's awesome about this announcement? They don't announce any features, or changes, or any reason why anyone would need an upgrade. They just decided that they want to offer an upgrade.

- David Stein
I'm sooo there
Old 02-27-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Of course you'll have to buy it. However, this will probably be very similar to their Windows 98 SE deal, where we could get an upgrade disc for like $20.

- David Stein
What announcement? It's just an article full of speculations.

I don't think Microsoft needs to release an interim release... Windows XP is fine and i see no reason why they feel a need to put out something before Longhorn.

If they do release something, it could either be like Windows 98 -> 98 SE, or 98 SE -> Windows Me. Neither really added much at all, although Me was released as a new OS rather then a slight upgrade like SE.
Old 02-27-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
A company executive confirmed to CNET News.com on Thursday that Microsoft is now discussing a product internally referred to as "Windows XP Reloaded."
(cnet.com, "Microsoft considering update dubbed 'XP Reloaded'")
I don't think Microsoft needs to release an interim release... Windows XP is fine and i see no reason why they feel a need to put out something before Longhorn.

If they do release something, it could either be like Windows 98 -> 98 SE, or 98 SE -> Windows Me. Neither really added much at all, although Me was released as a new OS rather then a slight upgrade like SE.
Agreed completely, and we were seriously frustrated at having a patch sold to us as an OS upgrade.

Windows 98 SE's most vaunted new feature was "Internet connection sharing." Did you ever try that? Holy crap, most shareware is vastly better designed and less buggy than that.

You set up one machine as the server... and it wrote a config file to a floppy disc that you had to carry to each client machine and execute some widget. It would only run from the floppy disc - and it would only create a config disc during the server setup process, so if the floppy disc went bad, you were screwed. Even when you did it right, the shared connection was sketchy at best - if you were surfing on the client, about half of the images came up with a red X, and the connection went down at random intervals. Amazing crapware.

Needless to say, I'm underwhelmed by this announcement. While XP is a huge leap over the 95 series, many things still need to be fixed in Windows XP. So I'd love to hear that Microsoft was refocusing on this, and I'd snap up a true upgrade in a heartbeat. But when they just announce that they want OS money in 2005... well... it's not confidence-inspiring.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 02-27-04 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, i consider an "announcement" something official. Not a source saying "we're thinking about it."
Old 02-27-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[BWindows 98 SE's most vaunted new feature was "Internet connection sharing." Did you ever try that? Holy crap, most shareware is vastly better designed and less buggy than that.

You set up one machine as the server... and it a config file to a floppy disc that you had to carry to each client machine and execute some widget. It would only run from the floppy disc - and it would only create a config disc during the server setup process, so if the floppy disc went bad, you were screwed. Even when you did it right, the shared connection was sketchy at best - if you were surfing on the client, about half of the images came up with a red X, and the connection went down at random intervals. Amazing crapware.
[/B]

Funny - I never had a problem with Windows 98se ICS. The setup disk was actually optional and if you configured every client manually there was never a problem. I guess it is all in how you go about it

I had many other issues with 98SE, but ICS was not one of them.

Depending on what they add to XP, an interum OS update might be nice. I would have to see the detail before I could comment.

One thing I have heard about XP SP2 is the built in firewall will get a serious overhaul.

IMO this is a needed and welcome update, and if it is any good would alone be worth a $20 update cost if MS asked for it (even though I know SP2 will be free).

By default, the new firewall update should be turned on to block everything except stateful TCP/IP connections. I doubt MS will do that though

The largest problem with MS software is still the end user
Old 02-27-04, 03:16 PM

Windows Longhorn is the codename of the next generation Operating System from Microsoft. At this moment it is still in Alpha, Beta won't be until Summer 2004 or Winter 2004 (if all goes well).

Here is a nice website talking about Longhorn:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4051.asp

Hope this helps...
Old 02-27-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. XP Reloaded.. strange, I already hate it.
Old 03-01-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

...although Me was released as a new bucket o' crap rather then a slight rip off like SE.
Fixed it.
Old 03-01-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tronmaster
Windows Longhorn is the codename of the next generation Operating System from Microsoft. At this moment it is still in Alpha, Beta won't be until Summer 2004 or Winter 2004 (if all goes well).
I'm thoroughly underwhelmed with the intended advances in Longhorn. It's just another gradual step in OS evolution (which is good), bolted on to a redesigned file system (which sounds awful.)

The whole point of the new FS is to bundle a crapload of metadata to every file. What good is that? Microsoft-generated files already have tons of metadata; just look at the properties of Word document... and yet, how often do you use any of this? It just makes the documents inordinately more bulky.

This new FS is lots of added complexity with little benefit. Your OS will run slower; your files will be larger and harder to transfer; and you'll find yourself spending extra time maintaining the metadata of your personal files. Meanwhile, you won't be able to use this metadata in any meaningful way.

I really wish MS would devote its considerable brainpower to advances that actually benefit users.

- David Stein
Old 03-01-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Isn't one of the unspoken goals of Longhorn to further cement Microsoft's hold on worldwide OS domination? Of course, I guess that is their goal with every new Windows release. Although Linux is starting to make some inroads...
Old 03-01-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They were saying today on The Screen Savers that Longhorn just got pushed back to 2006.
Old 03-01-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Alvis
Isn't one of the unspoken goals of Longhorn to further cement Microsoft's hold on worldwide OS domination?
That is their goal with every product. They're a software company. That's what companies do. Of course, when they get too large and monopolistic, governments tend to regulate them... well, they used to, anyway...
Originally posted by Alvis
Although Linux is starting to make some inroads...
Honestly, .NET may pose a resounding blow to that mantra. Having studied it for the past couple of months, I really have to applaud Microsoft's attempts to make software development as easy, quick, robust, and crash-proof as possible. I can foresee a huge explosion of many kinds of Microsoft software in the future, and of course it will only run on Windows 2000 and beyond.

Linux as a mainstream desktop app is a myth, and has been for a decade. As I hear it, the Linux GUIs are all about Windows 95-level functionality: kind of usable, but you still need to do a ton of stuff under the hood. There's no way that can take root in 2004 or later.

- David Stein